Old 05-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Knitting is not hard. Roll up your sleeves and dig in.

Knitting takes patience, and a desire to complete something. "Stick-to-it-iveness"

Reading patterns is the biggest challenge, for both newbies and oldies like me!

Do your homework. Research terms. Visit websites that offer videos. Get a couple of
good "how to" books. Purchase judiciously. Not all "how to" books are useful. Sit down at
the bookstore and read through the "how to" books...and decide which ones are easiest
to follow
, the best diagrams, etc. There are a lot of resources on the internet that are free.

I do like my books; not knocking books.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
How hard is knitting? This is an interesting question. I find that I can teach a 5 year old to do the basic knit and purl stitch, but no one knows everything about knitting. It is simple and very deep. As Artlady said it takes patience and desire. I find that most people who think they want to learn to knit don't really. They like the idea of it and would like to churn out knitted items, but they don't have the patience to really do it. It is not boring--new challenges all the time and unlimited projects and yarns to keep interest up but you have to do it not just talk about doing it.

If you really want to make a pig you can do it before long. Start with the basic knit and purl stitches, then learn a simple decrease and increase and you probably have most of what you need. The abbreviations can be found in a lot of books and the glossary here. They make sense and aren't nearly as hard as a foreign language. Once you get started you will find out whether you are really a knitting person, or someone who just thought they might be. (about toys: a lot of them involve more than knitting, sewing stuff on, stuffing. Some folks love that, what I call "crafty stuff", personally I don't. I can do it and have, but I don't love it like I do knitting.

This site is great for help if you run into anything you have a question about. You can learn almost anything with your computer and knowing where to go and the gals and guys here know where to go. Just ask.

I hope you find you are a knitter. It is a great hobby.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,089 Times in 608 Posts
Depends on your level of patience and willingness to learn, really...If it's something you absolutely want to learn no matter what, you'll pick up on it easily enough and enjoy doing it...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote