Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #41
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I know I commented much earlier in the thread but the way I see it is if you have piercings (which I do, eyebrow, tongue, and septum...had my lip for a while, years ago but had to take it out due to a recurring infection and being pregnant with my son) and tattoos (which I also have, 10, currently), you have to expect to be questioned or judged. Now I'm not saying that's fair because it's not, but, that's how people are and anyone who goes against the grain needs to understand that others will be curious and/or judgmental. If you react negatively you're only going to reinforce their judgmental and most likely negative view of you. You CAN'T let it get to you. Answer their question(s) with a smile even if you do feel offended because if you act completely un-offended you don't give them the satisfaction of being condescending, AND, you just might actually make them change their mind about you. Believe me, I've had all sorts of people try to judge me and stereotype me and I LOVE to be able to prove them wrong...If you take offense and get angry you're giving the person who is passing judgement exactly what they want, and/or, exactly what they expect...On the flip-side, however, there are people who truly are just curious or just want to strike up a conversation but don't quite know how...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
MerigoldinWA (06-02-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #42
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Good points, saracidaltendencies! Totally agree with you!
There is absolutely nothing to be gained by lashing out at rude, nosy people.

Hope my post didn't insinuate that I think that is the way to deal with them.
I might feel hot inside, but I'd never let them see it!

Actually, a good way to respond to a question like: "What does that pierce mean?"
is: "What do you think it means?"

Or, when asked: "Why did you have your xxx pierced?"
respond: "Why do you think I did?"

They'll say: "I don't know."
And you'll say: "Neither do I!"

If they have any brainy ideas to share...just say "You're right!"

End of that discussion. Your body parts and body art. Shees.

And now on to the more important things..."what do you think about xxx?"
Boy, in today's world...you'll have no end of xxx topics to ask them about.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 06-02-2011 at 03:32 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #43
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Hope my post didn't insinuate that I think that is the way to deal with them.
I might feel hot inside, but I'd never let them see it!
No, no, not at all! I just personally have never understood it really when people get offended when they are questioned about things like piercings or tattoos because a lot of people are nosy and are judgmental and for a person to think they'd escape the nosiness and judgement when they have a head-full of piercings and/or body-full of tattoos, well, that's being pretty naive. I have always believed that if a person doesn't want attention or is uncomfortable with receiving attention, well, they shouldn't do things that will definitely draw attention. Again, no, it's not fair but you can't expect the world to change for you...lol...I just think if a person wants to go out and get pierced and tattooed (ME!! LOL!) they need to realize that people will be nosy/judgmental and they have to be willing to accept that they will be questioned and looked at in ways that might be offensive. But, you just have to rise above it and prove them wrong and maybe, just maybe, you will open their eyes to the fact that not everyone who has piercings and/or tattoos fits into a nice, neat little packaged stereotype. No one does.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-03-2011), Mazie (06-07-2011), MerigoldinWA (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #44
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by saracidaltendencies View Post
No, no, not at all! I just personally have never understood it really when people get offended when they are questioned about things like piercings or tattoos because a lot of people are nosy and are judgmental and for a person to think they'd escape the nosiness and judgement when they have a head-full of piercings and/or body-full of tattoos, well, that's being pretty naive. I have always believed that if a person doesn't want attention or is uncomfortable with receiving attention, well, they shouldn't do things that will definitely draw attention. Again, no, it's not fair but you can't expect the world to change for you...lol...I just think if a person wants to go out and get pierced and tattooed (ME!! LOL!) they need to realize that people will be nosy/judgmental and they have to be willing to accept that they will be questioned and looked at in ways that might be offensive. But, you just have to rise above it and prove them wrong and maybe, just maybe, you will open their eyes to the fact that not everyone who has piercings and/or tattoos fits into a nice, neat little packaged stereotype. No one does.
Well said, Demonica, well said! You are spot on!

Thanks for sharing your perspective from the 'tattooed & decorated' side of the table!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #45
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Very well said Sara! I completely agree with you. No point in being bitter or making a big deal about it. I do think people should be more considerate, but I agree they are often just curious.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (06-03-2011)