Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

best way to store knitting needles?
Hi I taught myself to knit back in February by watching youtube videos. Mostly because my grandma died and I inherited her knitting supplies.

i have a HUGE cardboard box full of knitting Needles, crochet hooks, stitch markers, cabel needles, circular needles, interchangable needles, etc. BUT I can never find what I need. Everything is so jumbled up. I literaly spent 2 hours today trying to find a set of #6 needles that were the same length and same color ( I like to be color coordinated its an OCD thing).

Also the circular needles are so twisted they are almost impossible to work with.

How do you store your needles so that they can be found? And how do you get the extra twists out of circular needles so they are not such a pain?
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If you don't have interchangeable circular needles needles that come with a case this is a good idea. You may be able to make one yourself, too.
http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/900021.htm

I don't use straight needles, but I think maybe putting them in a vase or something would be neater.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a dear friend that loves to sew/quilt and she has made some lovely things for me. (Gorgeous quilted knitting bag!) Since I love to knit I'm always gifting her with something hand knit. Works out great for both of us!

At the present time I have my straight needles in a plastic cylinder that was made just for knitting needles, but it drives me crazy because I still have to dump them all out to find the right size and two that match. Anyway my friend is going to make me something like the link I'm posting. You can buy these in stores or online too. Lucky me, my friend is going to custom design my case!
http://tipnut.com/free-patterns-for-...es-organizers/ Jeanie
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I have all my needles that aren't in something thrown into a plastic storage box a bit larger than a shoebox. They're all circulars though, so when I want a needle I just scoop up the cords and look at the ends to find the one I want. No, I'm not the most organized person - why do you ask....?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I have the Knitpicks interchangeable Harmony Wood circulars so they don't take up much room. I keep the cables and keys in the plastic pouch that came with the set. I didn't like the bag for the tips, so I keep them in a Boye crochet hook zippered bag. You might want one for your crochet hooks. A couple of bucks. Keep straights and double point pairs together with rubber bands. You can keep the double points and circulars in Ziplock bags and write the size on the outside. I keep my stuff I use all the time, needle tips, interchangeable components, tape measure, knitting gauge, scissors, and tapestry needles together in one of the Cumberland zippered bags. That way I can always find them because they're together in one place. I got mine in the office supply section at Walmart. They're nice because if you're knitting away from home you can grab and go.

http://www.cumberlandconcepts.com/zipperbag.htm
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I use this type of case for my interchangeables, but it seems you may have single sets of different circulars.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoo...ion_id=7036358

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
offgridgirl (06-30-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

to clarify
to clarify, I have apparently more straight needles than you can shake a stick at.

Think of a box that a case of paper comes in, now fill it full of straight needles, all differnt sizes and lengths (I have found needles from size 1 to size 50). Now add another box HALF That size full of circular needles (at least 2 different sets of interchagables and the rest are individuals), Double pointed needles, and cable needles (I guess that is what they are they look like saftey pins of various sizes, widths, and lengths) Finally add a pencil box full of stitch markers, measuring tapes, sicssors, and Sewing needles. NOW Add another half paper case box of Crochet hooks!

Orginization is a big Problem, Plus I only have a 2 foot space in my bedroom to store it all in.

I inherited all of this from my Grandma when she passed on, and she had inherited some of them from her friend who passed on 2 years before her.
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I use this type of case for my interchangeables, but it seems you may have single sets of different circulars.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoo...ion_id=7036358
Those are so pretty. I have been trying to decide whether to splurge on an interchangeable set or purchase the Namaste small bag for the circulars I have now .
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Have you thought of using the kind of box that a case of wine or other tall bottle comes in? The box has built-in dividers in it to hold the bottles (= knitting needles) upright. You could group the knitting needles into sizes, maybe two or three sizes per compartment, and use a marker on the divider to show which sizes are in that compartment.

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
deann (07-14-2012), jok (06-10-2011), redbedhead (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Currently I'm putting circular needles into gallon size zip lock bags, one for each size and any and all lengths in that bag. I figure all the cables have room to spread out & un-coil. I'd like to have a nicer storage system, but every time I look at them I decide I'd rather buy yarn.

I've got a set of Denise interchangables stored in the case they come in; I knit & felted a bag that fits into and it has a zipper pocket on the side for extra cables, etc.

I've got a small amount of individual pieces of Knit Pick's various interchangables stored all together in their own zip lock bag.

I do have a bunch of straights but I don't use them any more. However, I just haven't been able to get rid of them (I'll need whatever I get rid of as soon as I get rid of it!) Not nearly as many as you have so they don't take up much room.

You need to figure out a way to separate that honkin' box full into sizes so you can get a handle of what you have. Maybe just piles spread across the floor for each needle size so you can see just what you've got in each size. While I can see keeping 8", 12" and 14" all size 5 (or whatever) and maybe even keeping 2 or 3 sets of each length (or whatever) you really don't need 20 sets of each length. I'd sort thru and keep any that are particularly pretty or speak to me somehow. If there are no other knitters in the family or anyone who might want some for their sentimental value or any knitter friends, I'd probably 'good will' or some other donation (maybe a local senior center) the majority of the straights.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
deann (07-14-2012), redbedhead (06-09-2011)