Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
brolie
1st Leg of the Journey

Homespun bulky pattern help!!
So I'm making a table runner for my boyfriend and he bought the yarn for it. He got the homespun bulky weight. I have no idea how to make this more creative than stockinette or garter stitch. Anyone have any experiences or idea with this yarn that could maybe help!? thanks!!
brolie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's about the best thing for a textured yarn. You could try a basket weave type st though - k5 p5 for 5 rows, then switch and p5 k5 for 5 rows. Or use k6 p6 for 6 rows. But a yarn like this looks best in a plain stitch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
brolie (06-19-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I was thinking the same thing........most table runner patterns I've seen use stockinette stitch in the middle with a garter stitch border all the way around. It gives a nice "finished" look.

hth, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
brolie
1st Leg of the Journey

Yeah I started it and I'm just doing it all in garter stitch with a black border ... this yarn is awful though.. keeps falling apart and is unequal the whole way through.. I guess that's the way it's supposed to be though.. :\ I might end up starting over and doing stockinette in the middle gray area because the intarsia keeps me moving my balls of yarn around every row haha. plus I really dislike garter stitch. I think it's ugly (in my opinion)

Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

It looks as if you're working with a yarn that has no "give" or "spring" to it. What brand of yarn/fiber content is this bulky stuff he brought home?

thx; always interested to learn about more yarns!

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's Lion's homespun yarn. It's best worked on size 11 needles with a loose tension, btw.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

OK, the Lion Brand Homespun. I *have* worked with that, at least in its regular weight, and the only way I could get it to behave was to double-strand it with a worsted and use size 15s (10 mm).

For a table runner, though, the double-stranding would be awfully thick; I was making a neck scarf for a community service project where protection from the cold is paramount. Is the table runner just for deco, or will tableware be placed on it? If it's too thick, the tableware will probably wobble on the double-stranding....

DCM
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
brolie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It's Lion's homespun yarn. It's best worked on size 11 needles with a loose tension, btw.
yeah, lion brand.. and it is not making me happy. i've never been to happy with lion brand yarn. and im using 10 and a half size needles with a loose tension, so looks like i'm doing things right there

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
OK, the Lion Brand Homespun. I *have* worked with that, at least in its regular weight, and the only way I could get it to behave was to double-strand it with a worsted and use size 15s (10 mm).

For a table runner, though, the double-stranding would be awfully thick; I was making a neck scarf for a community service project where protection from the cold is paramount. Is the table runner just for deco, or will tableware be placed on it? If it's too thick, the tableware will probably wobble on the double-stranding....

DCM
it's going to be for a chest that has a tv on it. he wants something to keep the tv from scratching the chest. im not double stranding either. only thing that i am worried about is that it might be a little too slippery :\
Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

If you can double-strand with something containing *wool*, you'll find that there's a little more "grab" to the finished item. Agreed, the "Homespun" (now there's a misleading brand name) is slithery as all get-out.

The TV set should certainly weigh a thick item down! Maybe this is your chance to use up some scraps of wool-containing yarns?

DCM
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
brolie
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm horribly allergic to wool haha. Even picking up a skein at the store to see if it has wool in it makes my hands red and itchy... Which limits things a lot with certain types of projects