Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

guage
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS AND POSSIBLY CONSIDERING AN ANSWER....

hi - I am knitting a sweater from "Knitting the new classics" book - the Banjo sweater. .. see link for pattern if helpful below.

I am working on a size 7 needle (after ribbing). I am making the large sweater but am confused on how to calculate gage. the double cable gage is 2.25. double cable is 20 rows...so I calculate 1 inch is 8.89 rows. looking at it that way I am supposed to knit pattern until back measures 27". (3 inches shadow rib, 24 inches pattern)

Shadow rib is 21 rows (4 inches = 28 rows; 1 inch is 7 rows...3 inches is 21 rows).

Pattrern 8.89*24 = 213 rows. If I did this much the sweater would be enormous.

I have a blocked brain - and cannot figure out the right way of looking at this.

any thoughts would be so much appreciated. THANKS!

---------------------------------------------------------------
(PATTERN LINK)

http://books.google.com/books?id=9nT...page&q&f=false
gcp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What is your gauge on the needles given in the pattern? You match the gauge then work the size that's closest to your measurement. This seems to be an oversize loose fitting sweater, so unless you're a plus size, you may want to knit the smallest size given, which will come out to 44" around.

The stockinette gauge is 24 sts/28 rows in 4" which is really 7 rows per inch, I don't know where you're getting the 8.89 per inch from. Each repeat of the cable sts is 2" the rows are the same as in the stockinette, 7 rows per inch. Cables pull in a lot widthwise, so while the stitch numbers may seem like it'll give you a big sweater, it won't be as wide as the numbers indicate. You may be thinking about the rows too much; lengths are given by measurement - knit to 26", for example - not by rows so you can adjust the number of rows to how long you'd like it to be. So if you don't get row gauge, don't worry about it, knit to the length. The st gauge is more important.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote