Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
convert crochet pattern to knit
Is there an easy way to convert a crochet pattern to knit? It's not a simple flat piece though.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You may not be able to replicate the stitch pattern, but you can make a similar shape. Do you have a link to it or a picture?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Breezed (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Breezed
Turning the Heel

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...lly-the-corgis

It doesn't give you the instructions unless you pay of course. I do have the pattern though. If I can't figure out how to convert to knit, I will just have to improve my crochet skills to be able to make it one day!

I tried looking up conversions online but I'm just not experienced enough in either craft to do it successfully.

This seems to be the easiest explanation so far, but I'm still not sure if this is very accurate. Not everything on eHow is good information.

http://www.ehow.com/how_18631_conver...t-pattern.html

Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh wow! That's some pattern, cute dogs. You're going to have to figure out the measurements and shape or draw it out and where to change colors.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Breezed (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

If you don't want to crochet (and it isn't hard and you'd probably have fun and I'm the world's biggest crochet enabler because I learned that first ) you can figure on about--and I say ABOUT--6 knitted rows in stockinette for every 4-5 single crochet. Garter stitch gets trickier, but you'll want to swatch either way. If you knit in the round, and think of the corgi as a sock, it might help.
It's harder for me to shape small items like those cute corgis in knit. It works, but it's not as easy and the finished piece won't have the structural strength of tight single crochet, so you might have to stuff the legs a bit harder to get them to stand.
Breezed (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Breezed
Turning the Heel

I know the basic how-tos for the different crochet stitches, I've just never put them all together yet. I'm actually more afraid of the assembly and embroidery. I am terrible at sewing and seaming. I may just try the crochet and see how it goes. I really, really want to make this for my bf. Our Cardigan corgi is his pride and joy! He would definitely appreciate something like this.

Thanks both of you for the tips.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I looked at the photos of the Corgis and at the eHow suggestions.

What the eHow suggestions seem to do is just give the equivalent height in stitches: 1 row of crochet sc = this much knitting, and on up the line as the crochet sts get taller. I didn't see any advice for shaping.

Looking at the Corgi pattern, there is a *lot* of shaping in small spaces: the faces and ears especially. Since you've said elsewhere that you've *just this weekend* started to learn how to crochet, I'd suggest making a note of the sts needed to make the Corgis and putting them front and center in your learning plan.

Then, when you feel confident about those sts, come back to the pattern. It should only take a few weeks, depending on the other demands on your time, so not too long!

Get all the other supplies you need: are there hardware fasteners required for the joints? plastic nose/eyes? special yarn you want for the colors? special-sized hook(s)? These can all be put into a dedicated project bag together with the Corgi pattern. That way, just as soon as you feel you have those required stitches under control, you can pick up the Corgi project bag and take off!

Happy learning!

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
Breezed (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
I looked at the photos of the Corgis and at the eHow suggestions.

What the eHow suggestions seem to do is just give the equivalent height in stitches: 1 row of crochet sc = this much knitting, and on up the line as the crochet sts get taller. I didn't see any advice for shaping.

Looking at the Corgi pattern, there is a *lot* of shaping in small spaces: the faces and ears especially. Since you've said elsewhere that you've *just this weekend* started to learn how to crochet, I'd suggest making a note of the sts needed to make the Corgis and putting them front and center in your learning plan.

Then, when you feel confident about those sts, come back to the pattern. It should only take a few weeks, depending on the other demands on your time, so not too long!

Get all the other supplies you need: are there hardware fasteners required for the joints? plastic nose/eyes? special yarn you want for the colors? special-sized hook(s)? These can all be put into a dedicated project bag together with the Corgi pattern. That way, just as soon as you feel you have those required stitches under control, you can pick up the Corgi project bag and take off!

Happy learning!

DCM
Thank you. That's kind of what I was doing - I read through the pattern carefully and made notes of what I need to practice most. I've already made 4 small round objects practicing something else. And I have a 4 foot strip of alternating stitches, like sc, half dc, dc, and treble. Because I do other crafts and started knitting other toys, I already have most of the supplies I need. But that is a great suggestion, to get it all together so when I'm ready I can just jump on it.

These are the stitches used and I already feel comfortable with most of them individually so it's just to put it all together and shape it right. The only thing not done is the decreases but I don't think it'll be a problem. I've watched the videos and it doesn't seem difficult.

terms Ch: chain C ring: collapsible ring Hdc: half double crochet Sc: single crochet 2sctog: 2 single crochets together (decrease) 3sctog: three single crochets together (de- crease over 3 stitches) Sl st: slip stitch St: stitch Tr: treble crochet

Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Crochet them! You'll see it's no big deal and it'll open up soooo many possibilities!
Breezed (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
Crochet them! You'll see it's no big deal and it'll open up soooo many possibilities!
I think I will crochet those little cuties.