Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I recently came across the Knook as an advert on Facebook or something. I can't recall, it was just last week though. I posted in the General Knitting section asking if anyone used it, just because I was curious about it. I never come to the crochet forum b/c I can't crochet...correction until yesterday, I couldn't crochet! I never learned to crochet b/c I associated it with the itchy afghans and abundance of doilies my grandmother used to make. Well, I started knitting about a year ago and became enlightened. Her crocheting had nothing to do with the itchiness, it was the cheap acrylic yarn she was using!! Ding ding. I felt quite dumb realizing this but hey, I was a kid. Anyway, I decided to learn crochet, and I am now a beginner! I agree with other comments that neither is superior but we are on the internet. It's hard to justify being offended while on the internet. It's a matter of personal preference and ability. I think the Knook would be great for people with some disabilities, and also for someone that really wants to incorporate a little knitting and a little crocheting together. I do agree with the original poster, I thought it was a money gimmick at first too. There are so many especially in the arts/crafts arena. Anyway, I just wanted to say I was ignorant to crochet before, and now I am really enjoying learning it. i intend to mainly crochet amigurumi. I prefer how it looks over knitted.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Here's another site about 'Dutch knittig' that has a tutorial - 'Dutch knitting'

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Antares
Working the Gusset

As someone who both crochets and knits, I am always amazed to find that some people (not so much on this site, though) seem to look down on one or the other. Why not try both?

I do find it interesting that some people still see crochet as only for household items. I realize that's a preference (and, of course, a very valid one), but when I look at patterns, say, in Crochet! Magazine, I do not see dowdy, old-fashioned, unwearable patterns. Many of today's crochet patterns for clothing are quite fashionable and very wearable--particularly since the light-weight clothing uses the finer yarns, making them much less bulky! And there are SO many interesting crochet stitches to use ranging from very lacy to a nice, dense fabric.

I'm always open to learning new skills! After all, what AM I going to do with all this yarn in the closet behind me? So thanks for posting about the different ways you can create stuff!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth here. I just wanted to say, I honestly love both knitting and crocheting equally. I love the variety of thing that you can do with both crafts. I honestly like crochet more for blankets and things. But I also love making crochet hats, dog sweaters, that kinda thing. Anything that will peak my interest, in all honesty. And I enjoy learning new things in both crafts.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
dbrpth
Casting On

New Casting on
I am new to knooking. I got the knook kit for christmas.I don't know much about knitting and only the basics in crocheting. I have watching videos on how to knook. I am working on making a scarf from the book that came in my kit. I am wondering why they tell you to chain 26 but only cast on 25?

Thanks.
dbrpth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #16
MudPuppy
Casting On

I am as new as new can get.
I have wanted to learn to knit or crochet for awhile but never really had the time. I didn't know much at all about either. Just yesterday literally I decided to buy the stuff for one or the other and give it a go. Ran across the Knook and thought I'd try that instead and bought the beginners kit. I for some reason just couldn't figure it out for the life of me- read the instruction book, watched a few video's and still nothing. So I happened to run across a how-to video on how to knit and watched it... didn't have any knitting needles but did have the 3 Knook needles. I decided to give it a go with those and made my first swatch last night, which didn't turn out too bad for a first-timer. I am now working on a simple headband. Still need to get some actual knitting needles but can't complain. Maybe I'll give the Knook a go again sometime in the future when I have gotten a better handle on knitting.
MudPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,985 Times in 2,505 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPuppy View Post
I am as new as new can get.
I have wanted to learn to knit or crochet for awhile but never really had the time. I didn't know much at all about either. Just yesterday literally I decided to buy the stuff for one or the other and give it a go. Ran across the Knook and thought I'd try that instead and bought the beginners kit. I for some reason just couldn't figure it out for the life of me- read the instruction book, watched a few video's and still nothing. So I happened to run across a how-to video on how to knit and watched it... didn't have any knitting needles but did have the 3 Knook needles. I decided to give it a go with those and made my first swatch last night, which didn't turn out too bad for a first-timer. I am now working on a simple headband. Still need to get some actual knitting needles but can't complain. Maybe I'll give the Knook a go again sometime in the future when I have gotten a better handle on knitting.

OMG!!! I love it!! You bought the knook but learned to actually knit instead. Congratulations on learning to knit!!!! I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

There's nothing wrong with knooking and some people seem to love it, I watched a few videos and thought I'd never get it and didn't bother trying. The same with loom knitting, it just looks cumbersome and more difficult.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #18
dbrpth
Casting On

I find that knitting with the knook is easier than knitting with two needles and I am a beginner. Though it does seem a bit slower. I have had to restart on the scarf I am working on a few times. But I need the practice. lol
dbrpth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,985 Times in 2,505 Posts
Originally Posted by dbrpth View Post
I find that knitting with the knook is easier than knitting with two needles and I am a beginner. Though it does seem a bit slower. I have had to restart on the scarf I am working on a few times. But I need the practice. lol

Everything takes practice, I'm sure you'll get better at it and find it enjoyable. I don't knit very fast but I do enjoy it. However we do it, seeing something take shape from a ball of yarn is amazing and darn near miraculous IMO. Enjoy playing with string!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote