Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
immersion dying already painted yarn?
I'm not going to get into gory details, but I had a lovely handpainted sock yarn that I.... mistreated, and in order to use it, I decided to re-hank it, soak it, etc. For one thing, I'm having trouble getting the kink to relax, but the other, the bleeding in each soak (3 or 4 attempts to relax it, each with vinegar and Soak wash) really left it sort of drab looking.

Since I can't really use the yarn for its intended purpose now anyway, was thinking of just grabbing some Kool-Aid at the store in a color already contained in the hank and immersion dyeing it, but I'm wondering if that's just going to make like a brown mish mosh color or will the dye only pick up where the fiber is no longer saturated? Is this just a bad idea?

Thanks a bunch!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Sean, It will depend on what color your sock is now and which color you choose to dye it with. (red+green = brown, purple+yellow=brown, orange+blue=brown) <--okay that's pretty simple, but you get the idea.

Make sure you get enough kool-aid to make a real strong dye.

You can get a more variegated color dying the yarn when it is dry (or part dry, part damp & part saturated with water)

If the original hand painted yarn bled that badly, then the dye in it wasn't set very well or it wasn't rinsed very well (i.e. bad dye job)

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mullerslanefarm For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
Thanks so much, Cyndi!

I am quite certain what I experienced with the yarn was my fault, not the yarn, and due to its "mistreatment," which did involve extreme heat and sometimes moisture at times, among other things.

I did try it last night for the heck of it and used 3 grape Kool-Aid packets in the pot and I am *thrilled* with the results!!!!! And the dye is now colorfast after it was completed, evidenced by the post-dye washing.

Thanks again!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Sean, a good dye job should hold up to heat and moisture. I dyed some of my hand spun yarn and knitted into socks for my DH to use in his Civil War reenactments. They have seen all kinds of abuse, especially heat & moisture.

Then again, I may just be jaded from buying too many hand painted rovings where the dye was not set properly

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote