Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
suehop2
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to suehop2
How the heck do you do a meadow stitch?
I am using a pattern in the Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders book and it describes the following stitch ..
Meadow stitch-k3tog and leave on needle, knit the first stitch again and drop from needle, knit the second and third stitches together and drop from neddle.

I understand knit 3 together, but the first stitch and so forth I just do not get what they want me to do.

If you have this book, I am referring to the pattern on page 140. Please help me understand .... Thank you
suehop2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Knit the 3 stitches together and don't slide any of the stitches off the needle. Now swing your right needle around and knit into the first of the three stitches again and take that one off the needle. Now knit the next two stitches together and slip off the needle. It sounds like you're making a bobble sort of stitch?

What is the name of the pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
suehop2
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to suehop2
Meadow Stitch
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Knit the 3 stitches together and don't slide any of the stitches off the needle. Now swing your right needle around and knit into the first of the three stitches again and take that one off the needle. Now knit the next two stitches together and slip off the needle. It sounds like you're making a bobble sort of stitch?

What is the name of the pattern?
Thank you for your help. I am not sure if I totally understand exactly what I am to do. I gave it a try, but I think I may still be doing something wrong. It does not look right to me.

The pattern book is Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders and the pattern is Cashmere Baby Leg Warmers on Page 140, and pictured on Page 33. The following instructions were how to make the meadow stitch.

Meadow stitch-k3tog and leave on needle, knit the first stitch again and drop from needle, knit the second and third stitches together and drop from neddle.

After I k3tog, am I now leaving 4 stitches on needle?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
After you insert the right needle into the 3sts on the left needle, stop and don't finish the knit st (don't let the 3sts slide off the left needle. You'll have 3 loops on the left needle and one (the new loop made with the working yarn) on the right hand needle. As Jan says, swing the right needle around so that you can knit into the st nearest the tip of the left needle. Pull through a loop as you normally would when you knit and this time let that st slide off the left needle. Now you have two loops on the right needle and two on the left needle. Knit the 2sts on the left needle together as you normally would and let the 2sts slide off the left needle. You'll have 3 sts on the right needle and you'll be ready to work on new sts on the left needle.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
suehop2 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I see what they look like now. Here's the link for anyone who wants to see.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...by-leg-warmers

You're doing that little puckery twist thing. See if Salmonac's instructions make more sense to you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
suehop2 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
After you insert the right needle into the 3sts on the left needle, stop and don't finish the knit st (don't let the 3sts slide off the left needle. You'll have 3 loops on the left needle and one (the new loop made with the working yarn) on the right hand needle.
I think you left something out here. You never had her really knit the 3 tog.

Work like you were going to K3tog to the point where you have pulled up your new stitch loop onto the RH needle. It this point you have 1 new loop on the RH needle and the 3 still on the LH needle. As Jan said, swing your RH needle tip back around a bit and insert it into the first stitch loop and knit that letting that first loop come off the needle tip. Now you have 2 loops left on the LH needle and 2 on the RH needle. Now knit the 2 stitch loops together again like they were a normal K2tog, letting them come off the LH needle as you normally would. You now have 3 loops on your RH needle, so you have the stitch count the same as it was.