Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
MrsDehmer
Casting On

Circular needle problem....
This is my first time using circular needles. I'm using 2 strands of fishermen's yarn and doing a simple rib, k2 p2. Somehow, half of my circle has 3 rows and the other has 1. Oops! Did I double over? Can that even be done? They're not twisted.

My question is, should I back track, rip it out and start over, or just double back on the single row side. I'm making a super chunky, oversized cowl, I'm not too worried about perfect stitches or really even patterns in this piece, just want to stay cozy warm and be 'farm chic'. (;
MrsDehmer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
I can think of one thing that may have happened--it wouldn't be obvious if you're working knit-the-knits and purl-the-purl ribbing.

When you work with circulars, you should always be knitting on the outside of the tube. The needles are closest to you and the cable is away--think of sipping out of a tea cup and the rim is your needle.

What often happens is that you start to knit on the inside of the tube rather than the outside. This becomes obvious when you're working in stockinette, but with ribbing, you adjust your stitches.

I'd tink (unknit) back to get rid of the part with three rows. AT the end of that section, (which will be obvious when you get to it) turn your needles so you're working on the outside and you should complete the second round and come out even.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
MrsDehmer (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I think Ingrid is right. You probably picked it up and started knitting on the inside of the tube so you are essentially going back over the same stitches you just did rather than the other half.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
MrsDehmer (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You might have picked it up and started knitting the wrong way, with the yarn coming off the L needle and likely inside out. Do that only when you're at the end of a row knitting flat. Knitting in the round or in the middle of a row, the yarn should be coming off the R needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If you're doing it correctly, your working yarn will be coming out from the right needle. Another hint is that when you're shifting needles and starting on the other side for magic loop (or at the beginning of a round), put your working yarn between the two needles, toward the inside of the tube. Then you won't end up with an unwanted yarn over like stitch at the beginning and end of the rows.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote