Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
2.3 Gingerbread Software Update: Android phones
Has anyone else updated their Android phone to the latest 2.3 Gingerbread OS? It will be pushed to your phone from the manufacturer of your phone, for example, my Droidx is a Motorola phone. Motorola sends the software updates, little by little, to the select phones they wish.

If you have updated from the former 2.2 Froyo to the 2.3 Gingerbread...let me ask you...are you having problems with your phone now?

I am.

1) my installed browser crashes unexpectedly, for no known reason, no rhyme or reason...and it's especially vexing when you've spent 10 minutes typing out a forum post

2) my SWYPE (keyboard input option) crashes

3) a messaging folder in FILES crashes

4) my picture texting is corrupted

I called Verizon, they handed me off to Motorola, putting the blame on Motorola for sending out the 'update'.

Motorola's only FIX for my phone would be a complete WIPE of the phone, reformatting it to 'out-of-the-box' state in which it arrived.

If you know what a reformat is like with your computer, then you know what a PITA it is. Not hard, not impossible...but very time-consuming.

Over in the Ravelry Android Group, this snafu (re: 2.3 Gingerbread software update being overlaid on top of the 2.2 Froyo OS) is being discussed.

I have not as yet WIPED my phone.

One lady said that whenever a very HUGE, COMPLEX software update is pushed to an existing OS, there can be areas that don't quite sync, or fit. Round pegs in square holes.

I am very peeved because up until this software update, my Droidx was a perfectly-working-no-bugs smartphone! All of my Droidx friends are experiencing bugs with the 2.3 Gingerbread software update, too. Different bugs, but bugs all the same. Especially navigation, texting, browser, swype.

And the sad thing is...the 2.3 Gingerbread isn't all that! It was not worth the trouble. And there are several features that I NOT LIKE.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote