Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
GAKnitter
Casting On

Picking up stitches - where is the new yarn attached?
Hi everyone,

I am a new knitter who is on my first attempt at knitting a baby bootie. This is my first encounter with picking up stitches. I get how to do it (I watched the video on Knittinghelp.com about 5 times), but what I can't figure out is

Where do you attach the new yarn?
Is it cast on to the empty needle? Do you tie it to the bootie? How do I secure the new piece of yarn when I'm pulling it through to create the new stitches?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!! This has been driving me crazy for the last 2 days.
GAKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Are you picking up stitches or casting on stitches?

If you are picking up stitches you should be able to pick up one stitch then knit or purl that stitch with the working yarn then pick up the next stitch and knit or purl that stich with the working yarn and so on...

If you have to attach additional yarn then you'd just knit the first stitch with the new yarn and hold on tightly to it. You'll have to tighten it on the next round of the project and then weave in the end well to hold that stitch in.
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
RozieKnitty
Casting On

Does anyone know if there is a video showing you how to change colors without tying the old and new yarn together? I'm making a multi-color scarf. Thanks!
RozieKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a video showing you how to change colors without tying the old and new yarn together? I'm making a multi-color
scarf. Thanks!
You should check out the videos on intarsia knitting and stranded (fair isle) knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,499 Times in 3,174 Posts
Originally Posted by RozieKnitty View Post
Does anyone know if there is a video showing you how to change colors without tying the old and new yarn together? I'm making a multi-color scarf. Thanks!
There's a video here that shows one way to change colors in a scarf, It works whether you change at the end of the row or in the middle. There's rather a long introduction but when the actual knitting goes on, you'll see that the knitter incorporates the old yarn tail and the new yarn tail into the next rows of sts.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote