Old 02-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
vivitrigue
Casting On

converting patterns from flat to circular
I am a vew knitter and wanted to knit a hat with circular needles since I don't like the idea of sewing the flat work together. Other than eliminating the last stitch, which I read in the forum here, when it says RS I need to follow word by word but then there is no WS correct? does that mean that if it says:

Row 1(RS) k6, p4 4 times - I do as it says - then
Row 2 (WS) k4, p6 4 times - I am really supposed to p4, k6 right?

Vivian
vivitrigue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

Circular knitting is a little odd because you don't flip what you are knitting at all. There is a wrong side and a right side in circular knitting, but you are always knitting one side; you don't flip back and forth between the right side and the wrong side. Instead, you stick with the side you start on.

What you should do is just K6, P4 throughout the entire project. The only reason the second row says to K4 is because, when you flip the project, the last stitches you created, which are 4 purled stitches, are the next stitches you will knit.

However, since you don't flip with circular needles, you just start the pattern over again from the beginning. Therefore, just K6, P4 until the pattern tells you to stop.

Once you've gotten through a few rows you will be able to see the pattern and it will be pretty clear.

Good luck! I hope I haven't confused you more.
Rebecca
Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
vivitrigue
Casting On

Thank you so much Rebecca! Actually you explained it really well, so I am not confused at all!

Now I'll have something to work on while we take a long drive tomorrow to watch some races my hubby wants to go see.

Thank you again,
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Stephieg
Casting On

I am a new knitter as well and have a follow up question to the thread below:
If knitting with Circular needles you encounter (WS) knit/purl instructions, are you to ignore the (WS) pattern and simply stick to the (RS) pattern?

Thanks in advance!
Stephieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,323 Times in 3,008 Posts
For most patterns where you're converting flat to circular knitting, that's going to work since WS rows are often just knit the sts that look like Vs and purl the sts that look like loops. You need to account for those WS rows however when you convert to knitting in the round. So if there are 3RS rows and 3WS rows in the flat knitting, you'll need to work 6 rounds in whatever pattern sts you're doing.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
lori1551
Knitting the Flap

One thing that has not been mentioned is when converting a pattern from flat knitting to circular, you have to eliminate 2 sts. In flat knitting, the 1st and the last st is for sewing up. Since you are going to be knitting in the round those sts are unnecessary.

The rest of your questions have already been answered. )

lori1551 is offline   Reply With Quote