Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
redneckmomma
Casting On

double knit cast on question
Hi I'm new to double knitting and I registered to this forum just to ask this question. I don't cast on the way I have seen anyone on the net do it in videos. I started before I saw any videos and so I did it my own way. I love the long tail cast on and I improvised it to my double knitting. I slip knot both colors on my needles (I cast on on 2 needles) separately and hold my yarn the way you do with long tail with 1 color over my thumb and the other over my index finger. I go under the thumb yarn over the finger yarn and through the thumb yarn like long tail. Then I go under the finger yarn over the thumb yarn and through the finger yarn (backwards of what I just did). What ever color my last stitch was is the color I go under and that makes a stitch of the opposite color and that helps me to keep from getting lost. What I am wondering is the name of this cast on method because as I said I can't find it. It's possible that no one uses it because it does not work in the long run, and if that is the case please tell my why because it seems to work in my learning samples, but I'm a newbie and a more experienced knitter may understand things I don't. Thank you for reading.
redneckmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

That sounds interesting! I haven't heard or seen that type of cast on, but there are a lot of them. It's possible that it's something you "unvented" yourself! If it works then it makes no difference how you do it.

Here's one link that has multiple cast ons to check out. I've never seen so many in one place and have this one bookmarked. Get a cup of coffee or soda and relax..it may take awhile!
https://sites.google.com/site/oftroy...rials/cast-ons

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
redneckmomma
Casting On

Thanks I'll check it out. I was just wondering if maybe it wouldn't work for some reason I haven't figured out yet.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
See if your cast on is similar to this one.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
redneckmomma
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
See if your cast on is similar to this one.
Yes it is similar to that (I wonder why I didn't find that video when I was searching YouTube) although mine does seem to make knit and purl stitches unlike what is said in the comments about how a cast on like that does not exist. Maybe someone else should check it out and see if I am looking at it wrong because I admit to not being the world's best knitter. In the video when she makes a red stitch she goes under the white, under the red, and through the white. I would go under the white, over the red, and pull through the white. That may be what makes the difference I don't know. But I am glad someone else cast on in an improvised long tail because that means it probably won't fall apart on me later
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I didn't look at the video, but I've cast on that that for ribbing, though only with one color. I doubt it will go anywhere.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
redneckmomma
Casting On

I taught myself how to knit out of a book of mostly crochet patterns with really bad black and white pictures on a set of chopsticks so there is a lot of things I don't know about knitting. My kids don't care how bad their blankets look because momma made them, but if I want to make something for someone else I need to get better lol. I'm glad I found a place to ask questions.