Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
northdixiechik
Casting On

Personalized Bernat Christmas Stocking
My great aunt made stockings for my ENTIRE family, only she died just before my daughter was born. I found a stocking with a name already on it and decided it's time I learn to knit. Just wondering if it's possible to change the name. She gave me one that was blank for my son because we hadn't named him yet, but I actually need to change the name on another one that I found at an estate sale. Is that feasible? The pattern is Bernat and the name is at the top of the stocking. I was unable to post a link because I am so new to this. Thank you for ny help though!
northdixiechik is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
You can undo and re-knit the top of a stocking especially if it's a hand knit. To re-knit, you need only come close to the original stitches per inch (gauge) since it's at the very top of the stocking. You can either knit the name in (see Fair Isle video under Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Advanced Techs) or use duplicate stitch to embroider the name on a plain background (video). There are simple and fancy charts for the letters (here for example) or you could graph out your own letters.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
northdixiechik
Casting On

Thank you so much!
I appreciate your help so much! This stocking is the only thing I miss at Christmas every year. I am so thrilled to have found it.
northdixiechik is offline   Reply With Quote