Finally, my Banana Tree Cardigan is finished after about eight months. Most of this time, the body spent hanging in the closet waiting for me to figure out and finish the sleeves.
I had gauge for the stitches per row, but I failed to take into consideration the rows per inch. After making most of the required increases I found that my first sleeve had already reached the underarm length yet there were more to go. Long story short, I had to redo the math and everything about the sleeves. They are still an inch longer than I care for. The finished sweater looks more like a coat on me than a sweater. I pinned out the sleeves according to the chart for the size I used. The wide sleeve top edges and the width of the sleeves would better fit a woman with heavier arms.
If I use this pattern again I may work 2-3 less stitches on the front center edges and then work and i-cord trim along these edges afterward. I think it would work well as a long sleeveless vest with i-cord trim along the front and around the armholes. Zippered or not would be good too.
This is a good basic pattern and I can see where it could be changed in various ways to achieve different looks.
I used ten 50 gram skeins of Lion Brand Al-Pa-Ka for this. Although, it looks and feels good to the hand, it is scratchy to my neck and arms. It would wear best with a long sleeved collared top or blouse.
Closeup of horseshoe cable along the front.
This shows where the two fronts are seamed in the back.
The whole cardigan.
Sorry about the light folks. It has been cloudy and rainy here. If and when I can capture it in better light, I will post another picture. Black is hard to show well.