Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

any lefties out there?
Hi everyone,

I'm not a lefty (predominantly right-handed but do a lot ambidextrously), but my mom is. I just learned how to knit, still working on my first project, but I feel like it would be really fun to teach her/learn together. She's naturally really good at almost anything crafty, and she used to belong to a women's crafts group at our local Recreation Department before the city totally slashed that budget. I feel like she'd love it. The problem is that when I mentioned it to her, she said that she's tried a little in the past, but she's a lefty and has always been taught by someone right-handed. Which would be the case here. If you're a lefty, do you hold the needles differently and mirror-image the whole process? I feel like just to teach her the basics I could probably switch my process up without messing with my mind too badly, but I can't even imagine how to reverse it for a left-hander. Is there no difference for lefties? I'm too new at this to know much of anything other than what I was taught.
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I'm a righty, but I have taught lefties to knit--'righty' style. I found that the lefties tended to adjust how they hold the needles as they got more accustomed to knitting, but since patterns and stitch instructions are written only one way, learning the conventional way makes it easiest in the long run.

She may want to learn to knit 'continental' style. That way the yarn is held in the left hand.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Of all the lefties I know personally only one actually knits left handed. She told me that she has to change patterns sometimes to fit knitting left handed which is a pain sometimes.

Knitting is a both handed hobby so the rest of them just learned to do it right handed. Sometimes just knitting with the yarn in the left hand (continental) or right hand (english) can make a difference in comfort level.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
I'm a confirmed leftie who learned to knit right-handed because that was the only way the lady teaching me knew how to knit. I think lefties tend to be adaptable. Most of us use a right-handed mouse on the computer after all. Maybe your Mom would give a try to knitting rightie, especially with an enthusiastic daughter teaching.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Ambidextrous here. I've read from knitting instructors that it's best to sit across from her when teaching a lefty. That way she can mirror your movements.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, everyone! I didn't think about patterns having to be reversed. She does a few things righty, like kicking or hitting a ball. I think she taught me to tie my shoe by sitting across from me, so I could teach her knitting the same way. I'll have to look into continental and see if I could show her that way and let her figure out what works better for her. It would be nice to have a hobby in common with her.
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by colleen114 View Post
Thanks, everyone! I didn't think about patterns having to be reversed. She does a few things righty, like kicking or hitting a ball. I think she taught me to tie my shoe by sitting across from me, so I could teach her knitting the same way. I'll have to look into continental and see if I could show her that way and let her figure out what works better for her. It would be nice to have a hobby in common with her.
I am a lefty and I knit continental. I tried to learn english style for a few years and just couldn't get my hands to listen to my brain. Picked continental up right away. I think learning how to knit "left-handed" is just too much hassle. You have to use two hands no matter what so mindswell learn to do it "normal" so you don't have to fight with reversing patterns your whole knitting-life. You just need to guide her to finding the most comfortable way to hold and control the yarn.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Tarat
Casting On

I'm a leftie, but I knit rightie. When I first started learning, I tried to learn leftie, but it was confusing because all the videos and stuff were geared towards right-handedness. So I learned right handed and now its natural...Slightly ambidextrous maybe?

If it makes any difference, I knit mostly English style.

Now, my little sister is a leftie and she knits leftie, just mirroring everything I do. She tried to learn right-handed and it confused her.

Each to their own, I suppose...
Tarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
vocalm
Casting On

I'm a lefty and I knit continental. My grandmother was a lefty and knit lefty, but complained of having to reverse patterns and problems so told me to knit right or continental. I can do both but prefer continental, feels more natural. Hope it helps!
vocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Lorac50
Casting On

Lefty
Hi Everyone,

I'm also a lefty. When I decided I wanted to knit I tried it left handed but no one could show me how to do it. I then went to knitting classes for right handers and finally was able to get it. It took a lot of practice and many of my things wound up across the room ...hahaha... In the beginning I found it very mentally exhausting going against the grain all the time. Now I'm fine, I just wish I could knit better.
Lorac50 is offline   Reply With Quote