Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Thanks.
No I haven't gotten it laid out yet. Working toward that now.
I had to stop and get some housework done while my husband is away and out of my way.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 12-22-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I finally finished the sleeves and blocked them but had to set them aside when our daughter & gbabies came last weekend for our Christmas get together. They live three hours away.

She brought two skeins of sock yarn and asked me to make socks for her out of it. One is of multi-colored brights. The other-- you guessed it, a black and gray yarn.

I can not get away from black. And if working with a worsted black is hard on my eyes, you can take it to the bank that a black sock weight is going to be worse.

Anyway, we'll do almost anything for our kids. Especially when we so rarely get a chance to be with them.

Perhaps my sweater will be finished by spring or next fall. If I should manage to get it finished I will post a picture.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 12-20-2011 at 08:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (12-26-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
I finally finished the sleeves and blocked them but had to set them aside when our daughter & gbabies came last weekend for our Christmas get together. They live three hours away.

She brought we two skeins of sock yarn and asked me to make socks for her out of it. One is of multi-colored brights. The other-- you guessed it, a black and gray yarn.

I can not get away from black. And if working with a worsted black is hard on my eyes, you can take it to the bank that a black sock weight is going to be worse.

Anyway, we'll do almost anything for our kids. Especially when we so rarely get a chance to be with them.

Perhaps my sweater will be finished by spring or next fall. If I should manage to get it finished I will post a picture.
How wonderful that they came to visit!

Ouch on the black sock yarn! I just started a hat for my son in chocolate brown yarn, using some bamboo DPN, and I thought to myself that the almost white bamboo made it so much easier to work the stitches. Now that I've transferred it back to my NP circs the glare from the nickel plate gives me eyestrain and makes it harder to see the stitches...

Why, oh why, doesn't someone come out with a white or light colored non metallic powder coat for metal needles? Or maybe I just haven't found them online yet...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

The sleeve seams are done.
I had to sit out on the front porch to do them.
Now to sew them into the body.
It now looks like rain is ahead and it's getting cloudy so I may have to put if off AGAIN.

ETA- The light held out long enough for me to get the first sleeve sewn in.
Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to do the second one.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 12-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #25
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Justplaincharlotte,

You may have to sit outside, by a window, or under lamp like I do.
I haven't noticed the Options nickel-plated needles being a problem with eyestrain.
However, I can not seem to use anything but my KP options.
My DPN's are colored and it's hard for me to see the stitches on them. Same goes for my straights which are colored also.
I'm considering getting rid of my colored DPN's and buying the ones from KP"s.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #26
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Congrats on the sleeve seams! Looking forward to seeing your FO!

I've got one of those natural spectrum light lamps that I work under and it reflects off my NP Options and it's almost like someone shining a light into my eyes. Maybe the reflected light is catching the line in my bifocals?

I'm thinking about going into inventor mode and trying a white enamel spray paint on a pair of my straights in a coat light enough to cover but not heavy enough to change the needle size... Worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't work, but that will have to wait until it stops raining.

If/when you get your KP DPN, please do share what you think about them.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #27
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
Congrats on getting as far as you have what with Christmas visits, sock requests and the waning daylight. I really can't wait to see this cardigan finished, and I'm sure it will be way before summer. You're making great progress.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Antares
Working the Gusset

The positive side of this whole venture is that once done, you will have a fabulous, all-ocassion sweater that will last you for a long, long time!

I hope you get the light to finish it, but I also don't wish the rain away since I'm hailing from drought-stricken Texas, where people are scowled at when they wish it wasn't raining (at least lately, anyway).

Looking forward to seeing the finished object! Talk about a teaser!!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

TA~~DAH!!

Finally, my Banana Tree Cardigan is finished after about eight months. Most of this time, the body spent hanging in the closet waiting for me to figure out and finish the sleeves.

I had gauge for the stitches per row, but I failed to take into consideration the rows per inch. After making most of the required increases I found that my first sleeve had already reached the underarm length yet there were more to go. Long story short, I had to redo the math and everything about the sleeves. They are still an inch longer than I care for. The finished sweater looks more like a coat on me than a sweater. I pinned out the sleeves according to the chart for the size I used. The wide sleeve top edges and the width of the sleeves would better fit a woman with heavier arms.

If I use this pattern again I may work 2-3 less stitches on the front center edges and then work and i-cord trim along these edges afterward. I think it would work well as a long sleeveless vest with i-cord trim along the front and around the armholes. Zippered or not would be good too.

This is a good basic pattern and I can see where it could be changed in various ways to achieve different looks.

I used ten 50 gram skeins of Lion Brand Al-Pa-Ka for this. Although, it looks and feels good to the hand, it is scratchy to my neck and arms. It would wear best with a long sleeved collared top or blouse.

Closeup of horseshoe cable along the front.

This shows where the two fronts are seamed in the back.

The whole cardigan.

Sorry about the light folks. It has been cloudy and rainy here. If and when I can capture it in better light, I will post another picture. Black is hard to show well.

Last edited by Lighting57 : 12-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (12-26-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Beautiful sweater! Well done!

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyD For This Useful Post:
Lighting57 (12-23-2011)