Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,987 Times in 2,507 Posts
First projects? OK, I guess I'll believe you. You are right to be proud of those.

I'm curious, what did they mean by "backwards" re: your purls. The way you wrap the yarn? If so, you're a combination knitter, I think, and that's just another way to knit.

Keep up the good work!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Olha
Turning the Heel

Oh, I missed these! Very, very nice for the first projects.

To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such?

I wonder if it's any indication that knitting becomes more of a useful skill and healthy challenge that has to do with self-reliance other than 'just a hobby'?

To all new knitters -- impressive! (And I don't assume anything about your personal motivation, just wondering what others might think).
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
JudyD
Turning the Heel

You did a super job on the scarf and hat and have earned the right to be proud!

May your addiction continue to grow!

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
JudyD
Turning the Heel

<<To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such? >>

I applaud the new generation of knitters...and they're not all women!

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
StickningFlicka2
Casting On

Congrats! They look great. Good luck on the socks
The Following User Says Thank You to StickningFlicka2 For This Useful Post:
LoveBugAngel (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

Lemme explain what I mean on 'first projects', I learned a basic knit stitch as a kid but never did anything with it, I just kept practicing. I forgot how to do it and a few years ago I practiced the basic knit stitch again, then practiced a little purl stitch (never made anything though) I picked up my needles for the first time in about 10 years this month and decided to give it a whirl, I looked up different styles (ribbing) and gave it a shot! My scarf was first then came my hat. I did have to restart a few times but they really are my first projects

As for purling backwards, I was wrapping my yarn the wrong way. The knitting ladies at the store told me I should change so that when I get into learning to do cables I won't have trouble because it was causing my stitches to twist.
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,987 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
As for purling backwards, I was wrapping my yarn the wrong way. The knitting ladies at the store told me I should change so that when I get into learning to do cables I won't have trouble because it was causing my stitches to twist.
Yeah, I'm sure you'll want to learn to wrap the yarn the other way, but I'm finding out there are times when you want to wrap it "backwards". http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=106644 I'm itching to try combined knitting and that uses the "backwards" purl. Somehow I have to get my tension more even and I hope that helps.

Quote:
To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such?

I wonder if it's any indication that knitting becomes more of a useful skill and healthy challenge that has to do with self-reliance other than 'just a hobby'?
I'm not yet an experienced knitter, but my grandson wanted a sweater and giving him a dishcloth wouldn't have made his eyes light up. He would have said,"Thank you," very politely but ..... Besides, making something with increases, decreases, bind offs, buttonholes...I actually learned some useful things. Thanks to everyone here and the things I've learned watching endless videos I now know I can make a sweater that fits me and that requires changing patterns, working short rows and mixing sizes.

I think for many of us knitting is a hobby but a useful hobby. It's mentally challenging in lots of ways. I have a heck of a time with the math involved but I'm finding ways to deal with that even.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:24 AM   #18
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

Here is the hat I finished tonight
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hat.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	55614  
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Olha View Post
Oh, I missed these! Very, very nice for the first projects.

To all new knitters -- impressive! (And I don't assume anything about your personal motivation, just wondering what others might think).
I'm new, and I started with a scarf because a few years ago when I tried to learn by working on a dishcloth, it couldn't hold my attention and I gave up. This time around I wanted to work on something that I actually wanted when it was done, and it's been so much fun working on it.

I personally got into it because I write and I needed an escape from that realm. I work full-time, I write (plays, not fiction or poetry) whenever I can, and I needed something that could just be mine for fun and not something I need to worry about as a career. Plus, even though I write, I tend to be AWFUL at anything visual-art-related. I can't draw or paint or sculpt or any of that. I wanted to be able to get into something craftsy that didn't involve any sort of drawing component.

LoveBug, the scarf and hat look awesome!!! I can't wait till my scarf is finished.
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks for replies. It's lovely when people share their stories -- how they get into knitting and what they get out of it.

ETA: I hope nobody was offended by my comment in any way. Knitting allows me to make beautiful, useful, and unique things and that's where I was coming from.