Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

A problem I've had knitting in the round...
I've made 2 sweaters lately... a pullover and a cardigan.
They are both top down on circulars... with the cardigan knit not being joined.
The problem I have is this...
The sweater fits my body but is always so wide at the neck that I end up adding stitches to bring it more in line with my shoulders.
The pullover had a very loose neckline so I picked up and knit with new yarn around the edge. It only took about 3 rounds before the sweater fit perfectly at the top.
The cardigan was a different story. It is a big cardigan... more of the knitting jacket in grey and black.
I didn't make buttonholes like the pattern specified as I had plans to add a zipper.
I tried it on and it seems a bit big at the top but I thought it fit pretty good in the body so I added the zipper then.
Trying it on again... it fits perfectly except the neckline is soooo big that the sweater cannot sit on my shoulders at all. To fix that I have crochetted more rows at the neckline and now it is starting to look much better.
The crochet is firmer than the knitting of the sweater but it is looking fine because it is forming itself into a collar.
Anyway, I was wondering... how to I make the sweater fit and the neck fit as well without having to do all this extra sewing?
It's the second time so I'm thinking it can't just be a fluke... what am I doing wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks,
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote