Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
Hi Anthony, One thing I just want to check on: this mitten pattern is being knit flat (back and forth) isn't it? not in the round on circular needles?
What part of the country are you in? If you Google "knitting groups" I think you may be able to get to groups in your area.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-10-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I agree with Sue that it would probably be easier to write out each row. Since you need to do it 3 times just write it all out. Like this -

Row 1 (RS): Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row3: K3, P1, K5, P1, K5, P1, K3
Row 4: purl
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: purl
Row 7: K0, P1, K5, P1, K5, P1, K5, P1, K0
Row 8: Purl

You can see that rows 4,5,6 and 8,1,2 are going to create stockinette sections just like your mitten was showing.

Are there no yarn stores in your area? Where do you live? Just remember that knitting was awkward and frustrating for all of us when we started. You have to learn a while new language. And if you feel this pattern just isn't the one to learn on it's okay to change. We all do that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-10-2012), justplaincharlotte (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to Anthony232
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post

Also, are you purling the first row after the cast on? Don't do that even if you use a long tail CO. Just work row 1 as a knit row.
I am actually following the pattern...I am doing a long tail CO with 19 sts, then, the pattern says to work K1, P1, K1, etc for the first row, and then P1, K1, P1 for the second. Then, repeat this 6 times for a total of 8 rows. But, this is the only part of my project that looks correct...lol.

The second half of the mitten, I did write the pattern part out like you have, that way, I was sure to do all 8 rows, and Purl each even row...2, 4, 6, 8. Also, not to be repetitive, I would agree with you about possibly skipping a row IF it only happened once or twice...but it's happening the entire pattern.

I am going to post a video of me completing the 8 rows and post it on youtube and leave a link here.

Thank you
Anthony232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Hi Anthony, One thing I just want to check on: this mitten pattern is being knit flat (back and forth) isn't it? not in the round on circular needles?
What part of the country are you in? If you Google "knitting groups" I think you may be able to get to groups in your area.
I moved from Georgia to the Dallas, TX area. I will check on groups tonight..unless anyone is near me..

And I am working this back and forth with 2 dpn...not in the round.
Anthony232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Okay so you have some setup rows in seed or ribbing, that's fine. Then you knit row 1 for the RS row and it should proceed from there if you do every row, one right after the other. Only rows 3 and 7 have purl sts on the knit row and R 7 begins with a purl st, not a knit stitch - maybe that's where you're going off? Row 7 sts should be:

P1, K5, P1, K5, P1, K5, P1 - the K0 at the beg and end mean skip that and go to the p1 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #26
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Mark, are you sure you are not missing out one of the purl rows? I can't see any other way that your pattern would be 'flipping'. The right side of the mitten will have your long tail from casting on at the start of the row and the stitches will be v-shaped for the most part, apart from the occasional bump which would be one of the purl stitches. When you are going to be doing mostly knit stitches in a row, make sure the side facing you has v-shaped stitches and when you are going to be purling all across the row, make sure the side facing you has the purl bumps.

Hope that helps. Have you taught your wife the basic knit stitch? She could try out a basic sample square or any other shape she cares to choose.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Okay so you have some setup rows in seed or ribbing, that's fine. Then you knit row 1 for the RS row and it should proceed from there if you do every row, one right after the other. Only rows 3 and 7 have purl sts on the knit row and R 7 begins with a purl st, not a knit stitch - maybe that's where you're going off? Row 7 sts should be:

P1, K5, P1, K5, P1, K5, P1 - the K0 at the beg and end mean skip that and go to the p1 sts.
That is correct, I am going straight to the Purl1 since the smallest size (the one that I am doing) is K0 to start Row 7.

Thanks for the idea though
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter View Post
When you are going to be doing mostly knit stitches in a row, make sure the side facing you has v-shaped stitches and when you are going to be purling all across the row, make sure the side facing you has the purl bumps.
Yes, I have watched that, but maybe not enough. What I do pay attention to is that a Knit on the previous row looks like a person with a noose around their neck, and a Purl looks like someone with a scarf around their neck...right? Again, if you have turned to start working a new Row, the previous row's knits would look like the above described...correct?

Sorry I didn't post a video yesterday, it may be this weekend. I moved on to a scarf pattern that is actually more challenging and it is coming along good, but I WILL NOT give up on figuring this out
Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by NorthernIrelandKnitter View Post
Hope that helps. Have you taught your wife the basic knit stitch? She could try out a basic sample square or any other shape she cares to choose.
I plan on starting class this weekend...lol...wish us luck! I really hope she enjoys it as much as I do...even when we come across problems such as these.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
What I do pay attention to is that a Knit on the previous row looks like a person with a noose around their neck, and a Purl looks like someone with a scarf around their neck...right?
It's often confusing if you think of a stitch the way it looks on the previous row; you're done with them and need to look at the sts on this row. And they look the opposite on this row. This post may help you identify knits and purls as they look on the row you're about to knit and the whole thread has other tips and a video.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-12-2012)