Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
knitterbug13
Casting On

Linen Ridge Stitch - Still Need Help! Pleeez :D
Hello, All!
Just wondering if anyone ever figured out the mystery code to achieving the "what-it's-supposed-to-look-like-if-you-do-it-correctly" result for the Linen Ridge stitch patt (not just the Linen stitch pattern)...
As with a few others, I was introduce to this attrative stitch patt via "Treads," the very cute fingerTIPless mitts pattern from RAVELRY...and can't for the life of me discern why I'm not achieving the results that others have (and rather easily it seems, according to most). I've followed the directions carefully, over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point.
I sent a messg to the designer, and for a brief spell we pondered if maybe it had to do with the manner in which Continental vs English methods are used in creating the stitches (she said she's self-taught English-style, while I'm self-taught Continental). She also mentioned that it continues to puzzle her why some knitters are able to produce the pattern with zero problems, while others (myself included here) have not been as successful.
I told her that since I know how to knit both ways (albeit with the English method, I'm more than awkward and far too slow. I overwhelmingly prefer Continental...and I'm right-handed to boot!)...that I'd try it out and let her know of my results.
So, I found myself some scrap yarn (had to set the Malabrigo aside before it became the overly tortured victim of frogiside) and cast on 84 stitches, dividing them in half. Worked the stitch patt over the first 42 sts using the English method, and then switched to Continental for the remaining 42. Other than the way the stitches themselves were turned (w/one method, the working stitches face toward the knitter, whereas w/the other method, the stitches face away), there was NO difference as to whether or not I was able to achieve the intended results...because I wasn't able to...using either method!!!!!
I even wondered for a split second if I were following stitch patt instructions for flat knitting vs in-the-round...and that maybe I was following an older version of the patt and hadn't updated it (now wouldn't that would explain a lot?!) But almost immediately, I realize it couldn't be so easy, for if it were, someone else would have surely discovered as much long ago.
I'm pretty much to the point where I'm now looking for alternative patt to the Linen Ridge , because I just don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. While it's awful others have experienced the same failure as I, I must admit it is a bit of a relief that it isn't "just me." Aye yi yi! What's a knitter to do?!
I know it's been some time since people have commented on the topic, but I thought I'd try anyway to see if anyone has discovered what the issue is. I'd really like to use THIS stitch pattern because it's what attracted me to the gloves to begin with, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
knitterbug13 is offline   Reply With Quote