Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
knitterbug13
Casting On

Linen Ridge Stitch - Still Need Help! Pleeez :D
Hello, All!
Just wondering if anyone ever figured out the mystery code to achieving the "what-it's-supposed-to-look-like-if-you-do-it-correctly" result for the Linen Ridge stitch patt (not just the Linen stitch pattern)...
As with a few others, I was introduce to this attrative stitch patt via "Treads," the very cute fingerTIPless mitts pattern from RAVELRY...and can't for the life of me discern why I'm not achieving the results that others have (and rather easily it seems, according to most). I've followed the directions carefully, over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point.
I sent a messg to the designer, and for a brief spell we pondered if maybe it had to do with the manner in which Continental vs English methods are used in creating the stitches (she said she's self-taught English-style, while I'm self-taught Continental). She also mentioned that it continues to puzzle her why some knitters are able to produce the pattern with zero problems, while others (myself included here) have not been as successful.
I told her that since I know how to knit both ways (albeit with the English method, I'm more than awkward and far too slow. I overwhelmingly prefer Continental...and I'm right-handed to boot!)...that I'd try it out and let her know of my results.
So, I found myself some scrap yarn (had to set the Malabrigo aside before it became the overly tortured victim of frogiside) and cast on 84 stitches, dividing them in half. Worked the stitch patt over the first 42 sts using the English method, and then switched to Continental for the remaining 42. Other than the way the stitches themselves were turned (w/one method, the working stitches face toward the knitter, whereas w/the other method, the stitches face away), there was NO difference as to whether or not I was able to achieve the intended results...because I wasn't able to...using either method!!!!!
I even wondered for a split second if I were following stitch patt instructions for flat knitting vs in-the-round...and that maybe I was following an older version of the patt and hadn't updated it (now wouldn't that would explain a lot?!) But almost immediately, I realize it couldn't be so easy, for if it were, someone else would have surely discovered as much long ago.
I'm pretty much to the point where I'm now looking for alternative patt to the Linen Ridge , because I just don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. While it's awful others have experienced the same failure as I, I must admit it is a bit of a relief that it isn't "just me." Aye yi yi! What's a knitter to do?!
I know it's been some time since people have commented on the topic, but I thought I'd try anyway to see if anyone has discovered what the issue is. I'd really like to use THIS stitch pattern because it's what attracted me to the gloves to begin with, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
knitterbug13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Could you post the instructions for the stitch pattern? I'm not familiar with it, but could help you out if I know what you're supposed to be doing.

BTW you don't do standard continental if your sts are mounted differently than english. That would be 'eastern' or combined contintental. If your pattern has decs - k2tog/ssk - you need to swap one for the other to make them lean the same way as in english style.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
knitterbug13 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
This is the pattern from Raverlry. There are three things I can suggest. One is to do several repeats of the pattern rows. I tried it and it didn't look like much until I'd finished about 16 rows. The second is to make sure you have an even number of stitches. And the third is to knit this pattern in a quiet place where you can maintain the mantra "p1, slip 1".
You can test it out on 10sts if you do it like the swatch that is shown in the video for swatching in the round.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Thanks for posting the pattern link salmonmac. It helps a lot when we can look at the actual pattern..

Helre's the st pattern:
Linen Ridge Stitch (in the round)
Row 1: purl
Row 2: *(wyib sl1, p1), repeat from *
Row 3: purl
Row 4: *(p1, wyib sl1), repeat from *

Maybe what's tripping you up is the slip sts. They're slipped as if to purl, which means you insert the needle as if to purl, however the yarn is in back. So you have to p1, move the yarn back, slip, move the yarn to front, p1, and so on. It would be just like doing p1 k1 except you slip the st instead of knitting it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Thanks for posting the pattern link salmonmac. It helps a lot when we can look at the actual pattern..

Helre's the st pattern:
Linen Ridge Stitch (in the round)
Row 1: purl
Row 2: *(wyib sl1, p1), repeat from *
Row 3: purl
Row 4: *(p1, wyib sl1), repeat from *

Maybe what's tripping you up is the slip sts. They're slipped as if to purl, which means you insert the needle as if to purl, however the yarn is in back. So you have to p1, move the yarn back, slip, move the yarn to front, p1, and so on. It would be just like doing p1 k1 except you slip the st instead of knitting it.
I want to do these now so I've been trying to get the pattern right. I move the yarn forward to purl, back to slip, it still doesn't look right. I'm trying it flat now and knitting R 1 & R3 to give purls on the RS but it still looks odd. I get ridges, yes, but the pictures show a sort of diamond effect that isn't there for me.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
It takes several rows to see the rather subtle diamond pattern. I keep thinking that seed st would work here too although the Linen Ridge is a denser and probably warmer stitch.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
knitterbug13
Casting On

Linen Ridge Stitch Patt Still A Mystery! :)
Hey, All!
First, thanks to everyone for responding and the assistance...I really appreciate it.
Yes, I've considered/followed all of the suggestions mentioned here. One of the first things I did was to (painstakingly) follow the directions line-by-line, stitch by stitch, and still I was unable to produce a clear stitch pattern. The yarn I'm using is Malabrigo Worsted in the Damask Rose colorway, which is (@ least the dye lot I have) a very mild, subtle colorway, so there are no "issues" regarding the changes in tone overshadowing or hiding the stitch pattern. Not to mention others have used Malabrigo and/or more "aggressive" colorways, and still managed to obtain an obvious pattern.
Just to be clear, I don't mean to insinuate or outright say that the pattern itself is not achieved...(if I wasn't clear on this, and/or gave the wrong impression, my sincerest of apologies). The pattern is present (albeit, I have to "stretch" the section a smidge and look very closely). My issue is, the pattern doesn't "pop"...IOW, if I weren't already familiar with the stitch pattern, it would not be clear to me). My "criss-crosses" look as if they lie at the same level as the purl bumps as oppose to being on top of them, as they do in the work of other knitters. As a result, the diagonal lines are not evident, and the overall stitch patt just looks like rows and rows of purl stitches (I believe the terminology I used when I initially wrote to the designer was "Rev St St on steroids").
I'm not alone, for, as you all can personally see, there are a few "finished projects" (in RAVELRY) in which stitching looks very similar if not the same as the results I achieve...and therein lies my question. Why is the pattern so obvious for some knitters, and not for others (even when using like yarns)? For some, the diagonal lines and "criss-crosses" are unmistakeable, while for others (like moi), it's more of a "hmm..." moment. By the way, a special thanks to those of you who provided a link to the actual pattern/directions...I can't believe I forgot to do so - a "DUH!" moment on my part. Again, my apologies.
In her initial response to me, one thought the designer presented was that maybe it was the yarn...maybe the pattern is more condusive to some yarns than others. A reasonable suggestion, I thought, so I pulled out 2 other yarns and tried the pattern again...same result...nodefinitiveness.
I gave it another go last night, w/no change. I thought maybe when purling, my tension might be too tight. So I did yet another round (of directions...not just another round of stitching), staying mindful of my tension...no difference.
Regarding my knitting methods, they are the same as those shown in the Continental videos on this site. Consulting the videos on this site was also one of the first things I did to ensure I was knitting "correctly". I did learn to knit from a "Learn to Knit" kit, but the methods were the same as shown in the video. Of this I am certain.
I thought I purled English style the same as shown in the videos...but I could be wrong. It's not my usual way of stitching, so this most certainly could be due to why my stitches faced one way with one method, and the opposite way with the other. Regardless of whichever way the working stitches faced while on the needle, however, really didn't affect whether the Linen Ridge pattern stood out or not...so it wasn't a possibility I gave extended consideration to.
As was suggested here, the designer also mentioned that it takes several rows for the pattern to be clear...but here's my thought on this advice. If others were able to achieve a definitive pattern in the number of rows dictated in the pattern, then I should be able to discern a pattern in the same number of rows.
I appreciate the suggestions that it could be the way I'm slipping my stitches, and whether I'm doing so with the yarn in the back or front...but I'm certain I'm following the correct methods here as well. I don't consider myself a newbie knitter...so slipping stitches (purlwise or knitwise) is an easy thing...as is slipping them wyib or wyif.
I definitely checked the number of my stitches because it's something I do twice...once before the Lateral Braid, and once afterward, due to that last potentially troublesome stitch. I count to make sure I'm still at a 40-stitch count...which is the correct count according to pattern directions.
Again, a thank you to EVERYone for your offers of advice and help. I'm open to any and everything anyone has to say...yes, I've considered most, if not all of your suggestions, but if you can think of anything else, I'd love to hear it. Until then, I'll just keep at it...maybe I'll be able to figure it out if I do it often enough!
p.s. This is a great pattern...anyone is considering a fingerless or fingerTIPless gloves/mitts project, you should definitely give "Treads" a go!

Last edited by knitterbug13 : 02-03-2012 at 12:04 AM.
knitterbug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
knitterbug13
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
It takes several rows to see the rather subtle diamond pattern. I keep thinking that seed st would work here too although the Linen Ridge is a denser and probably warmer stitch.
Yes! I did think of substituting w/the Seed Stitch (aka Moss Stitch) pattern, but I'm the stubborn type and I refuse to concede to the Linen Ridge Stitch until I've done all that I can do!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
knitterbug13
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I want to do these now so I've been trying to get the pattern right. I move the yarn forward to purl, back to slip, it still doesn't look right. I'm trying it flat now and knitting R 1 & R3 to give purls on the RS but it still looks odd. I get ridges, yes, but the pictures show a sort of diamond effect that isn't there for me.
Ah ha! So it's really not just me!!! So you know what I'm talking about, right...? When I say the pattern doesn't "pop" the way it seems to do in other projects?!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are now on my Christmas card list!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by knitterbug13 View Post
Ah ha! So it's really not just me!!! So you know what I'm talking about, right...? When I say the pattern doesn't "pop" the way it seems to do in other projects?!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are now on my Christmas card list!
Ah, shucks, for Christmas I want.....

You know, I am a newish knitter and so I thought maybe I'm not getting the tension right. I'm not sure that even for me that's the problem. I had cotton yarn handy and was using that, I intend to try it in something else. I have to wonder if some things work for some people and not others for some reason I'll never know. This is too pretty to give up on...and yes, I can get stubborn. We can be stubborn together, I guess. IF I get it to work and IF I know why, I'll let you know.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post: