Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't have one, and am not sure where the shawl is at the moment. But it'll come to light as I expect to move in the next couple weeks and I'll get a picture with the phone and post it to ravelry.

I don't care for garter stitch with variegated yarn, it looks better in a solid or heather color I think.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Olha
Turning the Heel

to laikabear -- you are funny!
laikabear (02-08-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I have to say...I agree with Antares. Read below:

Quote:
I wouldn't frog it, though, since you don't think you'll use it for anything else. It's more usable at this point as a completed shawl, which by the way, is gorgeous!!!
The yarn is gorgeous, however, I know whatcha mean! I've been in a similar situation. I didn't frog the sweater. I wore it a couple time, but was never elated with how the colorway worked out. I thought it would be more dark blue/and/azure blue...but instead, the tans were more dominant. Oy!

I gave it to a girlfriend who is ecstatic!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
laikabear (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Because I'm attracted to color like a parrot is attracted to a mirror, I have bought many, many busy, overly excited colorways that I don't really like once they are knitted up.

The best way I have discovered to resolve the issue by what I call a "yarn marriage": knitting with 2 strands held together as though they are one. I use one plain yarn and my busy yarn. (in your case, a nice medium grey would calm down the rest of the colors and make it look more like a tweed with pretty flecks.) The plain yarn calms down the overly excited yarn!

Yes, this makes the twin yarn a larger weight. If you are using two fingering weight yarns, you'll get something very close to a worsted weight in the end. And yes, you'll have to find a different project to use your married yarns on, because now the gauge is off. But it spares the yarn from being scrapheaped and you'll likely wind up with a project you love and will enjoy wearing rather than one you won't give two hoots about in a month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-11-2012), laikabear (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post
Because I'm attracted to color like a parrot is attracted to a mirror, I have bought many, many busy, overly excited colorways that I don't really like once they are knitted up.

The best way I have discovered to resolve the issue by what I call a "yarn marriage": knitting with 2 strands held together as though they are one. I use one plain yarn and my busy yarn. (in your case, a nice medium grey would calm down the rest of the colors and make it look more like a tweed with pretty flecks.) The plain yarn calms down the overly excited yarn!
This may be the best advice yet! I got to the point where I realized I was really, really not going to wear that busy shawl/ wrap, and I put the yarn and project (still on the needles) away in my stash. I think this weekend I will actually frog it, and when I am ready, try knitting a few swatches in different stitch patterns AND with a carried along yarn husband to see what looks best. I could easily get 2 scarves out of that much yarn, maybe three.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (02-09-2012)