Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

Need pattern or stitch that looks like this, please!
Hi, I came across this lovely capelet on Pinterest, and I'm dying to knit something similar, but I'm not really sure how. Does anyone happen to know of a pattern that is similar to this? Or can help me identify this stitch? I'm not even sure if this is crocheted or knitted. The few people that I've asked seem to think this is a linen stitch. Any thoughts?

chixdilla is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Okay, that kinda looks like moss stitch or seed stitch to me, but I'm probably wrong.

I will say that I could never wear something like that because I would feel as though I'm being strangled--not good for someone who's claustrophobic!!!

If you do make this, though, I'd love to see the FO!! And I know someone on here will know what stitch this is and not even have to break out a stitch book or guess (like I did).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I was going to say moss/seed maybe, it could be linen stitch. Why don't you get some yarn, doesn't have to be bulky, but use big needles and work up a sample with both sts and see which looks closer. Ravelry should have a capelet pattern with a similar shape and construction.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

I actually found the pattern! But, alas, it is crocheted (go figure!... I've decided I hate to crochet, and of course everything I see that I fall in love with just so happens to be crocheted!). It also costs $6.50 and my wee budget cannot accommodate that. :( The designer also designed a knit version which she says is a variation of brioche stitch. I think I might just try out a few swatches in linen stitch and moss/seed stitch and see what I like best. Luckily, I do have some bulky yarn I can use. I've also found a few patterns that resemble the shape, but they're done in basic garter or stockinette so I think the tricky part is going to be the decreases/increases, depending on whether I do it top-down or bottom-up.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

Aha, so it is seed stitch, but it's a crocheted seed stitch. That crossed my mind, too.

I bet you'll get similar results with a knit seed stitch or moss stitch.

And I'm always amazed at people who can knit better than they can crochet. Crochet is so much easier for me, but that's not true for everyone--obviously!!!

Good luck!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

Haha, actually I find crochet to be a bit easier to execute than knitting, although reading patterns in crochet is nearly impossible for me. Knitting patterns are much easier for me to understand. I think I just enjoy knitting more because the only thing I've crocheted is a baby blanket, which I was doing OK with. I just got so absolutely sick of it that I couldn't imagine ever picking up a crochet hook again!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
I'm glad the stitch for this was finally figured out. I had no clue but was mighty curious about it. I looked at patterns and found nothing that really looked like it.

Originally Posted by chixdilla View Post
Haha, actually I find crochet to be a bit easier to execute than knitting, although reading patterns in crochet is nearly impossible for me. Knitting patterns are much easier for me to understand. I think I just enjoy knitting more because the only thing I've crocheted is a baby blanket, which I was doing OK with. I just got so absolutely sick of it that I couldn't imagine ever picking up a crochet hook again!
Ha! I can screw up either knitting or crochet patterns with equal ease.

Because I had finally learned to follow a crochet pattern, following a knitting pattern wasn't too tough to learn. Charts? I've not even attempted them yet. With either knitting or crochet, I get lost in stitch and row counts. I do find it easier to be sure I've actually finished a row in knitting, some crochet patterns I think I'm done with a row and I'm not.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Laura,

It may be knitted, but it sure looks like this time honored crochet stitch pattern to me: sc in the ch1 lp, ch1, sc in the ch1 lp.

Good luck figuring it out, it sure is gorgeous!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

I think I've given up on it. There's no way I can figure out how to knit that without looking at a pattern.