Well, using the smaller size needle didn't pan out. The outcome didn't justify the fuss.
However, knitting those cables off the tips of the needles helped a lot.
I discovered that the 'leg' occurs due to "slipping 5, hold to front; knit 3, then P2 K3 off cable needle." The reach pulls the stitch at the outermost location and stretches it out.
Where this occurred, let's say on a Row 3...then on Row 5, when I got to the obnoxious 'leggy stitch", I would use the tip of my needle, reach down to the leggy stitch in Row 3, pull it up and put it on the needle, and knit it together with its sister stitch on Row 5. This removed the extra yarn from the leggy stitch. If you follow me....
Here is the completed Left Front!
After blocking I am certain that the ripply appearance of the cabled band will flatten out and behave!
This yarn is 65% wool, 35% bamboo.
Those white threads are row markers, and will remain there until all 5 pieces are completed. Back, Fronts and Sleeves. Only then will I breathe easy that all pieces are a mirror image of one another with regards to lengths, etc.