Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
GG, I just had to tell you the melantonin worked! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! Last night I went to bed *and* went to sleep at 11 pm for the first time in months. And I woke up at 8 am feeling like a brand new woman. Slept like the proverbial babe....

I will say that if you decide to try it, please look it up online to see if it it reacts with medicines or medical conditions you have.

I'll be honest, I was desperate enough to try it even though it might have raised my blood sugar. It didn't, checked by testing. And the med I take that it can affect, I'll be having my regular bloodwork shortly so we"ll see.

I figured it was a worthwhile experiment having fought this insomnia for a few years, and I'm tired of fighting if I don't have to.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm so glad it helped! I took melatonin last night and it seemed to work, I slept better than I had in a while, I'm never quite sure it's not just coincidence and that was a night I would have slept anyhow. I found time release tabs and they seem to help me stay asleep longer. My understanding is that as we get older our bodies don't produce melatonin like they used to. One problem they don't fix is, I sleep but don't feel rested.

My grandson has Aspergers and I guess part of it is not sleeping well. They have melatonin for him, the doctor recommended it but said to be careful of the dosage, it doesn't take much. Of the various things we can try on our own, this may well be one of the safest.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I just thought of something else that might help. Full-spectrum fluorescent lights. I used to have them for plants, but now I don't. When I used them my depression was lessened and I think I slept better too. I keep intending to get a full-spectrum bulb for the lamp by my knitting chair and never remember when I go out to the store. Anyhow, I think part of the problem is that we don't get enough sun exposure and full-spectrum lighting helps some. Here in gray-skies western Washington natural light is really at a premium. Maybe I'll remember to find a bulb for my lamp now.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Do you have to have a prescription for melantonin?
If not, where do you find it in the pharmacy or do you have to ask for it?
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
Do you have to have a prescription for melantonin?
If not, where do you find it in the pharmacy or do you have to ask for it?
I bought my melatonin at Grocery Outlet, their vitamins and things are cheaper than at other stores. Not Rx. Most stores that carry vitamins should have it. Just look in the vitamin section. If you don't see it, you could ask to find out where it is, if the store carries it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Wanda Witch (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Just a footnote to you ladies whose husbands can't sleep if you are not in the same bed with them. Well, I was 34 when I married DH, always slept in my 'own' bed growing up and into adulthood. My DH snores and it drove me to distraction as I had to get up a lot earlier than he did, something like 4:30a.m. in order to dress, makeup, hair, coffee and catch a commuter bus for a 60+ trip to work. I would go into the living room of our first little rented apartment that had a sectional sofa, and of course, would awaken with the sections apart as these were not the type sofa(s) you would probably buy for yourself. Finally, it was my decision to buy a queen-sized sofa bed and it was that or the highway out. I had to work. Since then, even on vacation in hotels, etc.,we have our own bed. Oh, just had our 48th anniversary, and believe me, the marriage would not have lasted, either divorce, murder or me dead from exhaustion back in '63. Gotta stand up for your rights, sleep is not a luxury it is a necessity to function.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

GG, Full spectrum lights are AWESOME for just about everything from seasonal affective disorder (winter depression) to reading to houseplants/fish. I originally bought mine for needlepoint & cross stitch years ago, still use it for reading, and it's a must for knitting, so much so that now I'm the houseplant beneath it!

I just wish I could put them throughout my house...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Lighting, check the vitamin section of your local pharmacy. I got mine at Rite-Aid, for about $10. It's been the least expensive experiment I've ever tried, and probably the most effective too.

Speaking of, I'm about to fall asleep at the computer, so nitey night everyone! I'm loving this even though it comes from a pill. I'll take it however I can get it these days.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
RosaMarie
Casting On

My Mom has used melatonin and it worked great for her, but she was always hesitant to take it very often so she still suffered from a lot of sleepy nights (still does!).

One thing that I find helps me is a tea called "Sleepy Time Extra". It's from Celestial Teas of something like that and has Valerian Root in it. I get it at my local grocer and I know Publix has it too. It's in the regular tea aisle and is pretty cheap.

I find looking at my phone, the computer or a TV is the worst thing I can do when I'm up in the middle of the night. It makes me even more awake. Reading is usually what I resort to.

I am a young woman, a crafter, a do-it-yourself'er, a dog lover, a reader, and a writer for Part Select.
RosaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Since my previous post my DH purchased from Costco a product by Costco (Kirkland Brand) called Sleep-Aid. Two bottles to the carton. DH and I both have a difficult time not only falling asleep but staying that way. We each have been using this for about 30-days or more and it has helped us both tremendously. No sleepy, hangover feeling in the a.m. either. IF you have a Costco in your vicinity it might be worth a try. So far no adverse reaction(s) by either one of us.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-23-2012)