Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
kilbir
Casting On

Knitting help please
Hi, I'm making a v neck lace open cardigan with the patt as follows

Row 1 - K1, *yo, k2, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k2, yo, k1, rep from * to end
Row 2 - p to end
Row 3 - k2, *yo, k1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k3, rep from * to last 7 stitches, yo, k1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1, yo, k2
Row 4 - p to end
Row 5 - k3, *yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yo, k5, rep from * to last 6 stitches, yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yo, k3
Row 6 - p to end*

The pattern is easy enough when it's straight but when it comes to the v neck shape I became totally confused and could really use some help.

The left front of the cardigan involves making the pattern above and decreasing by 1 every knit row. But for the right side of the cardigan it gave instructions for the neck shaping as follows -

Neck shaping*
Next row - K1, skpo, patt to end
Next row - p to end

What I'm not sure is, after the k1, skpo, what do u start with for the pattern? Starting with the 1st stitch results in a few extra stitches at e back. And if I try to miss out the 1st 3 stitches of the pattern, I lose some stitches as there are yarn over stitches in the 1st 3 stitches !

I hope this isn't all too confusing. Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks a million!
kilbir is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
This pattern works out to two groups of sts: the increasing number of knit sts flanked by yo's and the double decrease flanked by yo's. The simplest way to do the decreases for the V neck is to leave out an entire repeat at the neck edge. Do these sts in stockinette and then you can continue the repeats to the end of the row. Fortunately, you've been working this pattern in the sweater already so you've seen how the parts of the repeat align (the increasing number of knit sts flanked by yo's and the double decrease flanked by yo's). Look at the pattern you've set up in previous rows and then you'll see where to start the pattern again.
You're going to have to do the same thing on the left edge in order to have the decreases for the V.
I like this pattern in a sweater. Good luck with the finishing.

Last edited by salmonmac : 03-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
kilbir
Casting On

thanks a lot! i'll try that out!
kilbir is offline   Reply With Quote