Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
adichappo
Ribbing the Cuff

Weaving threads in a scarf
Hello! I'm so glad I found this website.
I just recently starting knitting again after about 25 years. My grandma taught me how to knit a scarf when I was 6 yrs old and that had been the last time I knitted anything until now.

I am currently working on - another scarf! But this one is really long with quite a few colour stripes. I'm using the garter stich with #5 size needles. The scarf is 61 stiches wide and currently is about 2 feet long (I've got a looong way to go yet) with around 10 color strips already.

My question is what is the best way to weave the yarn ends of each color back into the scarf to hide them? According to the pattern, I start each new color after 3 stiches into the row and then after I have knitted down the row with the new color I go back to tie the two color ends in a loos-ish knot. I tried to look through the videos listed here but couldn't find one the really fits my project - the one I found was for weaving on the inside of a sweater or something like that. I would appreciate any advise anyone could give me.

Thank so much. I'm hoping to work on knitting something other that a scarf at some point and I'm sure the resources here will be very helpful in the future.
adichappo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
When I have different colors I try to weave the yarn on that color so it's less obvious. Because it's a scarf you won't be able to completely hide anything since both sides show, but this works pretty well.

Here's the method I use.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

Welcome to Knitting Help!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
adichappo (03-07-2012)