Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Elmirasan
Casting On

Pattern help
I'm making an arm warmer and I'm not sure how to work the thumb. Here are the directions

Hand
BOTH SIZES
Dividing Rnd: K2, sl next 6 (8) sts to a holder for thumb, cast on 2 sts, k to end of rnd, 24 (34) sts for hand.
Work in St st worked in the rnd until piece measures about 1 (1 1/2) in. (2.5 (4) cm) from Dividing Rnd.
Work in K1, p1 Rib worked in rnds until about 2 (2 1/2) in. (5 (7) cm) from Dividing Rnd. Bind off.
Thumb
Sl thumb sts back onto 3 double pointed needles, pick up and knit 2 sts across cast on edge of Dividing Rnd. Place
marker for beg of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand
needle
- 8 (10) sts at the end of this rnd.
Work in St st worked in the rnd until thumb measures 1 in. (2.5 cm) above Dividing Rnd. Bind off

I'm not sure about the portion in red. Thank you for any help!
Elmirasan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,326 Times in 3,011 Posts
When you work the dividing round, you cast on 2sts which will help ease the opening for the thumb. Now you're going to work the thumb sts and you need to pick up 2sts where you cast on the 2sts on the dividing round. When you do that you'll have those 2sts on your right needle with the working end of yarn dangling at the end of the right needle. Place a marker and start knitting the sts off the first dpn and continue around. As you knit around, you'll knit the 2 cast on sts and reach the marker for the end of round one. Here's a video for picking up sts that may help.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote