Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

FO: my own invention
At least, I THINK I invented it. (mostly because nobody else has probably ever wanted it).

I'm knitting doll clothes, for my very old dolls. Two of the dolls are very breakable, and this is the first time I've made anything for them. Up till now I've only knit for my teddy bear - and I discovered I had an "issue" with the fragility factor of the doll.

I like to knit on circular needles (knit flat). No big needles flopping around when I'm working on such small pieces, and there's the advantage of being able to slip the work onto the flexible cord and hold it around the doll for fitting, because of course I don't have exact patterns - sort of make them up as I go along.

My issue is - you know how "springy" circ's are - well, every time I held the wip against the doll, no matter how careful I tried to be, those needles kept clanking against her legs, and when I was totally focussed on checking the fit (and unfortunately only have 2 hands), I thought it was even possible one of those needles could sproiinggg up and smack her on the nose or her teeth - it was giving me the creeps. She might've been wearing a really old dress all these years, but her face and body are in perfect condition, and would I ever be upset if I chipped her, trying to make a new outfit. So I stopped the project and worked on the problem instead.

Knowing what stocking stitch loves to do - tada - needle covers. I just have to slip an elastic band on for extra security if I need to. NOW I can go back to my project.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07113.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	55818  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
Now that's a clever idea! I like your thinking. I'm using fixed circs right now but typically I use interchangeables which allow me to take the needle points off and if needed put buttons on the ends.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Great idea. And a perfect example of necessity being the mother of invention!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (03-21-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Now that's a clever idea! I like your thinking. I'm using fixed circs right now but typically I use interchangeables which allow me to take the needle points off and if needed put buttons on the ends.

Those sound great! I'm so envious
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I had to re-read your post a couple times, then the lightbulb went ON!
I get it now. Those two aqua tubes are your remedy so the needles won't chip your vintage doll during her fittings!!!

Great idea!

Be sure to post your doll in her new dress!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I had to re-read your post a couple times, then the lightbulb went ON!
I get it now. Those two aqua tubes are your remedy so the needles won't chip your vintage doll during her fittings!!!

Great idea!

Be sure to post your doll in her new dress!

Thanks, I can't wait to post that photo LOL! - but I've hit another snag. I'm just now trying to figure out how to word a question I want to post. Every time I turn around I need to learn something more. I'd much rather post photos than questions!