Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Dizzyisabelle
Casting On

Question about pattern
Hi all!
I am knitting the Knock Around Hoodie from the Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting. I am currently working the back panel (first piece) and I have a few questions about the pattern.
First issue: the back is knitted on size 13 needles but then for the front and sleeves it says use size 10 1/2 needles, even though there is no mention of that in the materials list, nor is there an accommodation for the gauge switch in the pattern, so I am wondering of this is an error.

Secondly, I am at a point in the pattern where I've worked 42 rows of stockinette stitch and I am about to start raglan shaping. The directions say:
Bind off 4 sts at beg of next 2 rows. (got that - let's call those rows 43 and 44, which would be a knit row and then a purl row)
Then:
Dec 1 st (k2tog) at beg and end of every 3rd row 6 times. Then dec 1 st at beg and end of every 2nd row 7 times.
I've written all of the steps out row by row so I can check them off as I'm done with them.
My questions are - am I starting the decrease at row 45, a knit row, (immediately after the two bind off rows)? if yes, then I would do another decrease on row 48, correct? If that is the case, row 48 is a purl row, so rather than k2tog, would it not make more sense to p2tog?
I have read that most decreases are usually done on the same side, but every 3rd row is going to wind up on a purl side at some point, so I wanted to be sure I wasn't interpreting it wrong or reading too much into it.
Thank so much in advance!
Dizzyisabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
I would start the decrease on row 47 which would be the 3rd row after 44 (45 and 46 are row 1 and 2 so 47 is row 3). That also puts the decrease on a knit row.
Oh and yes, the needle size change sounds like a typo.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Dizzyisabelle (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Dizzyisabelle
Casting On

Ah! Makes sense to start the decrease 3 rows after the bind off row (it seems so obvious now - LOL!) I will still run into landing on a purl side in the next decrease round because of the odd numbers (47 is knit, 48 is purl, 49 is knit and 50 is purl with a decrease), but I' m just gonna go with it and p2tog.

Thank you for confirming the typo question as well. That would have been a real bummer if I had followed the pattern and not my hunch.

I appreciate the help!! Thank you!
Dizzyisabelle is offline   Reply With Quote