Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
KnitpickingRunner
Casting On

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
My choices:
1) HiyaHiya
2) Boye Needlemaster (only with replacement cables)
3) KA
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Your question is: what is "your preference"...not "what's the best buy", not "which set works best".

My "interchangeable" preference is Addi Clicks. I knit with them most of the time.

Recently purchased the new set of Addi Clicks Lace (with new long stalks), and use them for intricate stitches that need pointy tips.

I own these interchangeable sets:
1) Denise
2) Boye Needlemaster
3) Knit Picks Options, nickel set and Harmony set
4) Addi Clicks, regular set and lace set

So those are the interchangeable sets I've worked with extensively.
Thanks for the info. Can you figure out what it is about the Addi Clicks that makes you prefer them?

I've considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?
KnitpickingRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
KnitpickingRunner
Casting On

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
My choices:
1) HiyaHiya
2) Boye Needlemaster (only with replacement cables)
3) KA
Did you experience cable breakage with the needlemasters?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by KnitpickingRunner View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you figure out what it is about the Addi Clicks that makes you prefer them?

I've considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?
I love love love the high quality, smooth, buttah soft, silky nickel plated finish on the Addi Clicks, both regular tips and lace (pointy) tips. The finish on Addi Clicks is even better than my old (set-circs) Addi Turbos, and heaven knows you can hardly get a never nickel finish...but Addi has managed to up their game.

That said, perhaps newly purchased Addi Turbo set-circs have the same wonderful finish as the Addi Clicks. I dunno. I'm not purchasing any additional set-circs Addi Turbos.

The new Addi Clicks Lace Longs are very accurate, the tips are perfectly pointed but don't tend to split yarn easily.

BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?

I don't even touch my Denise's anymore. I should really sell them. I despise the cords. The way the tips connect to the cord is really nice and easy. The stalks are nice to knit with. It's just those gawd awful cords...

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
KnitpickingRunner (04-06-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Quote:
Some people love Denise needles. I have a set that I've been considering trading or selling.

What I like about them: They are fairly inexpensive and you get a nice case for them. They have good customer service and send replacement parts when you need them.

What I don't like: The cables are too fat and I've had them break on me. The connections come apart for me at awkward times. The needle tips seem too blunt and for me are awkward and difficult to use.

At first I thought they were great but then I realized I'd learned to knit and felt like I needed real needles.

I think the people who love these needles probably are very loose knitters....and, yes, I mean that in the best possible way. I think I must knit fairly tightly.

Right now I'm trying to decide between wood (not bamboo) and nickel plated needles. I got the sampler sets from Knit Picks and Webs (everything so far is totally interchangable) and just can't decide which I like better.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

I don't even touch my Denise's anymore. I should really sell them. I despise the cords. The way the tips connect to the cord is really nice and easy. The stalks are nice to knit with. It's just those gawd awful cords...
Agreed. I don't like the cable either. I also didn't like the case because you couldn't add to it. Only one set fits. I don't know anyone with only one set of any type.

I also didn't like Boye Needlemasters. The cable is too stiff.

I love Addis, but they are too expensive for my budget especially since I use multiple sets.

My needle of choice is Knitpicks nickel plated. I've only had one cable break in the years I've used them. Their customer service is wonderful and there are no questions asked.

Btw... I use an awesome needle case I got on Etsy!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Quote:
BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?
The Denise case is a book like affair with spots for everything that comes in the set. Is that the kind you're talking about, ArtLady?
Quote:
Agreed. I don't like the cable either. I also didn't like the case because you couldn't add to it. Only one set fits. I don't know anyone with only one set of any type.
Yeah, where do I put the 2 - 52" cables they sent to replace the one that broke that they sent me because the connector thingies kept coming apart? LOL They do have good customer service for replacing pieces.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The older Boyes had thinner, more flexible cords and a different sort of join. But they broke more easily too, so that's proably why they went with the heavier, stiffer ones. I can ML and single loop pretty well with the fixed ones, but the larger join on the interchangeables make that a lot more difficult.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
My (blue) Denise case is like a hard cover book, with tracks for the cables, and slots for the stalks. It's very organized, but cumbersome when traveling.

I like the slightly padded, soft leatherette (envelope-shaped) Addi case much better.
Lightweight, compact. Snaps closed easily, securely.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
KnitpickingRunner
Casting On

You guys are fabulously helpful! Thanks for all the great info!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
PatriciaPDX
Casting On

My Denise needles were a gift and I learned to knit on them several years ago. I've never had them come apart, even when making twisting, turning long mobius scarves. While I like them just fine, I wanted to try something different. I was surprised to find recently that I like bamboo needles, and then I recently ordered the KnitPicks "Try-It" set. I don't care for the acrylics, the nickel-plated are fine, but I was surprised again that I like the Harmony Wood needles best of all, as they're slick and have really good points. Since I have the Denise needles and rarely knit with anything smaller than a size 5 or larger than a 9, I decided to buy just the sizes I use most of the Harmony set. I'll do the same soon with the nickel-plated set. For anything larger than a 9, the Denise needles will do nicely. However, if I didn't already have the Denise needles, I would order a complete set of the Harmony Wood needles.

I don't care for Addi's blunt points, and the Addi Lace needles I tried at my LYS did not impress me as much as I expected them to. Again, it's all personal preference. I never thought I'd be a fan of wood needles, though.

Good luck with your choice!

Patricia
PatriciaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote