Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
I have an old fishing tackle binder that I use for my circular needles.
Aha! I knew there was some way I could combine my love of fishing with knitting! GREAT idea--except my husband may object to the conversion since he thinks fishing tackles are for . . . . ummm . . . well, fishing!

Another point of intersection for knitting and fishing is when I used fishing swivels as stitch markers. I still prefer the string ones I made, but swivels work in a pinch (like when you're away from home and need markers really badly and the only thing you can find is a tackle box).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Well, guess I should also jump in here: I've used the Knit Picks, both the metal and wooden ones which were just fine. I tried the newer Knitter's Pride in both the metal and the wooden ones (round and cubics). I like the cables in both of these; however, I just bit the bullet recently and ordered a set of the Addi Lace Clicks Long Tip set and I am LOVIN' them. Just today I did order a couple of extra cables, extenders and end stoppers. It is an investment but I am so happy with the way the new Addi Lace needles perform. They DO NOT split the yarn (currently working on heavy worsted-type wool) and notice a tremendous difference after changing over to the new needles from the former ones on the same project. I will keep the other needles, as undoubtedly I will find uses for them but after having tried the newer ones I am sold 150%. Oh, by the way, a few years back prior, I guess, to the Addi changeables I had several sets of the fixed cables and did NOT like them at all as the cables were far too stiff, not so today. To each his own, but I found mine.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

I've also had some problems with the Knit Picks cables breaking. The plastic part pulls out of the metal connector, often leaving dozens of stitches in the wake. This has happened 4-5 times and it is sooooo aggravating.

But the truth is, I'm a weirdo and prefer straights over circs anytime I can get away with it. Except when I make socks - I use magic loop. I have the non-interchangeable Knit Picks Harmony for that and I LOVE it.

Addicted to knitting...
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
The only trouble I had with Knit Picks cables coming loose, breaking away from the metal thing was when I had 300-450 aran weight stitches on the 60" cable for my log cabin blanket, those lonnnnnnnnnnng outer logs!

I had to tug and pull the stitches along.....and SNAP!!! Darn cable let loose and I had a hot mess on my hands. Fortunately, I only had garter stitches on the cannes, easy to pick up. Tedious, but easy.

Had it happen again, too. Same scenario. So I've given up on using Knit Picks 42" & 60" cables for those 300+ stitches projects. I just cram them onto a 32".

I've tried "connecting" my Addi Clicks together to make a 50-60" cable, but that 3.5" metal connector is annoying as it slides back and forth through the stitches. It kinda snags.

So back to Plan A: the 32" cable of either brand.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Wanda Witch (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Always hold the cable to slide the stitches along. Never hold the needle end. It puts too much stress on the cable join.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Sarahb69
Casting On

I'd be considered fairly new to knitting...I don't as yet do anything fancy, but I'd like to.

I started knitting on the cheap needles from Walmart and finally broke down and asked for a set of nice interchangeables for Mother's Day 2 years ago. My little girl (via daddy) bought me a set of the KNitPicks nickel options and I love them. I've not had a cable of theirs break and the needles glide through the yarns I've used to date.

1000% better than those cheap Walmart needles!
Sarahb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

What sort of needle case did you get, Jan--for the Knitpicks set? I can't seem to keep my cables in anything--and especially the fixed ones for socks. Got any ideas or a picture or link to the case you got? I'd like to try the addies--but I can't afford them either, but the long Knitpicks cable for Magic Loop kind of gets in the way--not as "soft" as I'd like it to be

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

So--would the Addi Lace be good for knitting socks in Magic loop, do you think?

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellen Edwards View Post
What sort of needle case did you get, Jan--for the Knitpicks set? I can't seem to keep my cables in anything--and especially the fixed ones for socks. Got any ideas or a picture or link to the case you got? I'd like to try the addies--but I can't afford them either, but the long Knitpicks cable for Magic Loop kind of gets in the way--not as "soft" as I'd like it to be
I do magic loop all the time with my Options. Guess it's personal choice.

Here's where I got my needle case. I know 4 other people who use them and they all love them. I have the original case, not the multi-knitting case. I can fit almost two sets in the one I have and I prefer the snap to any other closure. She doesn't have them, but I HATE ties!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosevans?section_id=6277487

This is another Etsy site that has almost identical ones. They are a little more money, but look very well made.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoo...ion_id=7036358

Both sites now have numbers as well. I think they will either sell you the numbers or you can have her iron them on for you.

ETA: I take my fixed circs and just loop them around themselves and pop them in a longer slot at the top. I don't have any trouble with them. The cables go in those for me as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
KnitpickingRunner (04-24-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #30
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
hi, I am wondering if you could ask someone else to screw them together. The reason I say this is because I have an issue with my muscle strength at times and it is actually quite common. There is a possibility that if you have a bit of arthritis (in hands or neck), carpel tunnel or any bit of inflammation it can lead to muscle weakness. I first noticed mine when I was using scissors. I kept sending the scissors out for sharpening thinking that they were dull when all along my fingers were too weak to cut sutures. If I was quite busy with my hands I noticed I had trouble picking things up. If I rested my hands for a moment or two then I could resume the task. I can't trust myself to adequately tighten anything unless I rested my hands for a few moments to renew the strength in them.

Just a thought as others have said that they don't have problems with their set.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote