Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Lifeisjustswell
Casting On

Neck Shaping trouble for crew neck, bottom up sweater in the round...
Hey there! I'm knitting my very first sweater and am stuck at the neckline shaping. I've been following along with video tutorials/blog posts from Knit Picks "How to knit a Sweater" with Nina, knitting a crew neck Raglan bottom up sweater in the round. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with! I've attached my sleeves to the body and began working my raglan decreases. Now I am to the point where I'm supposed to bind off the center stitches to start the neckline. Here are the problems I'm facing..

1) It says to bind off the center stitches on a plain row (knit row) and continue kitting to the end of the row and start knitting flat. The problem is, I'm thinking that my beginning of row changes to the beginning of the bind off sts, in other words, where the neck line begins. But how does that work when my original end of row is at the left back (when looking at it from the back side) (at raglan decreases). ? It seems to present several problems... 1) the right front side (when looking at my sweater from the front) of my neckline has more rows than the left front (because of passing my original starting point and proceeding to purl back). And 2) because I bound off on a knit row like it says to (without decreases anywhere) and then purled back (again no decreases), I've now missed a decrease row.. won't that look funny?

2) Also, where I've bound off, the left side of the bind off has a little hole under it, whereas the right side runs smoothly without any holes. Is there a way to fix this?

To sum things up, I understand that she says to start knitting flat to start the neckline, I'm just not sure how to do that without running into the problems above. And then also the problem with the bind off not looking symmetrical.

Thank you so much in advance!
Lifeisjustswell is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
The difference in the end of round and the beginning and end of bind off isn't going to make a noticeable difference in the look of the sweater. There's often a difference in the bind offs, decreases etc. but it is usually small fractions of an inch which do not affect the finished sweater.
The small hole at one end of the bind off should disappear as you knit further rows. There may be holes, depending on the decreases or bind offs for the neckline but often these are covered or closed up when you pick up sts for the neckband.
Check the directions and make sure that you're not supposed to decrease on the bind off or following rows. Is it possible that the shoulder decreases are finished or do they continue after the neck bind off?
Sounds like you're making great progress on your first sweater!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Lifeisjustswell
Casting On

Hey there,

Thank you so very much for your reply! I have a few more questions if that's ok!

You said, "The difference in the end of round and the beginning and end of bind off isn't going to make a noticeable difference in the look of the sweater. There's often a difference in the bind offs, decreases etc." Sounds good. My other question is, what do I count as the first complete round after the bind off (as I am basing where to stop the neck line based on the number of completed rounds, not like in some other patterns where you base it on, say, the number of stitches left on each sleeve)? Would it be, at the beginning of the bind off, where the bind off began I mean? Also, thereafter, I imagine a completed round would be each knit row AND each purl row.. in other words, (since I'm working flat), a completed knit row is one round, and a completed purl row is another round. Is this right?

Also, you said, "Check the directions and make sure that you're not supposed to decrease on the bind off or following rows. Is it possible that the shoulder decreases are finished or do they continue after the neck bind off?" I'm definitely instructed to do the bind off on a plain row. It makes more sense to me to do it on a decrease row though, as it would not leave so many decreases out, just the left front (when looking at it from as if wearing the sweater... just learned this is always how one is supposed to refer to it!) I guess if something makes more sense, I can change it right? Still so afraid to mess with things! Also, yeah, the raglan decreases continue after the neckline begins..

Annnnd, one more question please! Thank you so very much for your patience!

... Is there a certain decrease pattern that would fix the hole problem on the bind off? I know you said it will probably be fixed when picking up for the hem line, but it'd make me feel better (as a new knitter!) to just not see it at all. lol.

Again, thank you SO much, you have no idea. I've just joined this forum and have never been good at reaching out for help but am so glad I found this place and your help!!! Thank you thank you thank you. )
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Hi, and welcome to KnittingHelp. I'm glad you found the forum also. There are lots of people here to help.
Mostly the answer to your questions is yes. You have the right idea about finishing the neckline for this sweater.
The ends of the neckline bind off are going to be the beginning and end of the row. It's where you'll turn to knit or purl back. Count each row separately. So a knit row counts as a row and a purl row as another.
Yes, continue the decreases for the raglan as you do the bind off for the neck. I don't think you want a pause or jog in the decreases just because of the neckline. Keep the line of decreases going. You can always make these kinds of changes and if it doesn't look right, just rip it out.
You could stitch the little gap closed with a tapistry needle and a short length of your yarn but really, it's better to ignore it for now. When you pick up sts for the neckline, be sure to close the gap (don't pick up a st in the gap). If that doesn't fix it, close it up then with the tapistry needle and yarn.
Good luck finishing up. Come back with more questions if needed and post a picture of the finished sweater if you can.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Lifeisjustswell
Casting On

Ok, now I'm ready to proceed!!! Thank you!! I will definitely post a picture once it's done. I can't wait.