Finally finished this last night. I made quite a few changes to the pattern. Some were just construction approach, like I did picked up button bands instead of self, added a few short rows at the back neck for fit, left out some of their repeats of the eyelet rows in the yoke because I didn't want so many holes. And...I was running out of yarn so decided I didn't want long sleeves after all and shorted them to 3/4. More of the saga in my Ravelry notes.
Yarn is Cascade Yarns Cherub Collection DK, an acrylic/nylon blend, very soft. A favorite color of my daughter's and she visited last weekend and got to try it on when I had part of the yoke done and she liked it, so I think it will be a hit with her.