Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Which iPad do you have, Katie? Even though they aren't HD I find on my iPad 3 that the text is sharp and the videos are pretty good even though they aren't HD.

I do use Good Reader because I'd rather not sit in my computer room chair at the computer. I used to print patterns all the time, but now I can see many (not all) of them right on my iPad. I'll probably be PDFing patterns now so I can use them on there! Can't wait to use the test the annotation since I always use a pencil and paper or write on my patterns.

I have a first generation iPad, Jan.

I'm tempted by the new one, but there isn't any new feature that I'm dying to get -- some that are nice to have, but none that I'm willing to upgrade for -- and I don't have any complaints about my iPad that a newer model can fix.

Except, apparently, screen resolution.

That is one of the things that had me consider upgrading, but I really can't justify it right now. Nearly everything I currently run is already iPad optimized, so I wouldn't gain very much.

However, I may change my mind when newer apps pop up that won't work with my outdated hardware.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I just switched from a blackberry to an Iphone and I loooooooooove it. I didnt think I would but now I can't ever imagine going back. Only problem I have is the battery doesn't last very long.

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
It depends on what you're doing with it. I find some games suck the life out of a battery, but others don't. Reading books on the Kindle app is easy on the battery.

Since I got an iPad I generally play games on it instead and my phone battery lasts much longer.

BTW...the link in your sig to your friends website is incorrect. I think it's .net not .com.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

omg as if I put the URL incorrect! Thanks for the heads up! I've been doing the site for 10 years, you think I would know it by now haha

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Jeremy
Mod Squad

We're a two IPad family and we don't really use the computer anymore at home. We read, do mail, play games, skype... you name it. Congratulations.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
purple34
Casting On

Congrats
Congrats on getting an ipad
purple34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to purple34 For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
Hi, If you have a wireless router then you can just link in to your homes internet. You would only need a data plan if you want to surf the net, check email etc and are away from your home and are not in a WiFi friendly area. If you are with someone who has an Iphone they can become a "WiFi hotspot" so that you can use your IPad and access data by linking onto them. I am not sure if other smartphones have this wireless hotspot thing but it is great. I can use my laptop in the car just by enabling the hotspot app.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Christinechrstms1 View Post
Hi, If you have a wireless router then you can just link in to your homes internet. You would only need a data plan if you want to surf the net, check email etc and are away from your home and are not in a WiFi friendly area. If you are with someone who has an Iphone they can become a "WiFi hotspot" so that you can use your IPad and access data by linking onto them. I am not sure if other smartphones have this wireless hotspot thing but it is great. I can use my laptop in the car just by enabling the hotspot app.
I know I can do that,but haven't learned how yet. There's an app for that? You need to use another device? I have an iPhone.

Right now I have a $15 a month data plan for my iPad. I turn off the data when I'm home or other wifi connection so it's been fine and that's not too much too spend for all the enjoyment I get out of it. I do want to learn about the hotspot though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

I am sorry I didn't see your reply. If you have an IPhone you shouldn't need a data plan with the Ipad as long as you have your iphone available. go to settings ( in Iphone) and click "Personal Hotspot" on. It will then show you what the password is. Then to connect your Ipad you just plug in the password when it asks if you want to connect to WiFi. I think you can have something like 10 devices hook in to your Hot Spot. I have used mine and others have as well. As long as you are within your allotted data plan eg 1 MG you should not incur further charges

Last edited by Christinechrstms1 : 06-02-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: because I am silly and forgetful!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #30
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

I love my Iphone. It has a lot of the features that Ipad has. I really wanted an Ipad but found that it is almost as heavy as my MacBook. I read books, pay bills play scrabble Skype,and so much more with my iphone. I love it. I also have made short vacation videos with the IMovie app