Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
maggiethomas
Casting On

Adjusting for tension in Aran pattern
Hi all,

I have a pattern for a man's Aran jumper, which I want to knit for my husband. However the pattern's tension recommendation is for stocking stitch, not for the Aran pattern. The tension should be 20sts to 4in (i.e. 5 sts per inch). My tension swatch in stocking stitch is 4.83sts per inch (14.5sts over 3in).

Now for a smaller garment I would consider this to be acceptably close, but on a man's jumper (that ends up approx. 49 inches in the finished chest measurement) this could result in an increase of nearly 2 inches if it was in stocking stitch - making it a size bigger than expected.

If this was a plain stocking stitch pattern I would adjust by knitting to the next size down, and ending up with the chest measurement I wanted. But I have no idea whether to just knit to the next size down for Aran patterns. Can anyone help?

For background, and don't feel you need to read this bit, I've knitted a lot of stocking stitch garments over the years, but always hated knitting even rib, let alone complicated Aran or lacy patterns. However I've just begun teching myself 'continental' style knitting (i.e. holding the yarn in the left hand). This method is so much faster than English-style knitting (for me at any rate), and now I'm enjoying knitting rib!

I started practising all the stitches I've avoided up until now, including some classic Aran stitches, and it's got me in the mood for knitting an Aran jumper. I found a nice Patons pattern, but bought 100% wool from New Lanark Mills rather than Patons, as they didn't have any colours my husband liked. I calculated the number of balls needed by yarn length, not weight, but I've become stuck by the fact that the tension swatch is in stocking stitch, not the Aran pattern. And being so unexperienced when it comes to textured patterns I find I'm stuck!

Thanks all for listening to my ramblings!