Old 09-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

What it is, is tendonitis. There are some things you can do:

--If it's your right arm, move your arm in front of you as if crossing your arms, only take your left thumb (as your left hand is palm toward your body), and deeply massage the muscles/tendons on the top of your right arm--right about on the pad, just down from from the crease of the elbow joint. It should hurt like the dickens if you do it right and it's inflamed! Do it deeply and properly, and you'll find the middle finger on your right hand twitching as you massage. Do that regularly to reduce the inflammation and work the knots out of the muscle.

--whenever you knit, use a support that you can get for tennis elbow--just a band to go around the arm just below the elbow. That helps support that area while you knit. Something like this. (We're a family of musicians and knitters and we all have these supports!)

--take breaks from knitting every few rows, or however often you need to.

--you can ice it as well!

--knit on a pillow in your lap to support your arms

--Try something like Icy/Hot or BenGay. I use a natural product called Sombra that I get from my chiropractor. That sort of thing will bring relief.

--don't forget typing and other repetitive motion activities will exacerbate the problem.

The main thing is to let it heal before you knit very much at a sitting. My dd was warned she might never play her flute again, but followed her instructions and is good as new--just has to be careful. I have flare-ups every so often, and follow these instructions--it works great.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you Lisa
Sadly I still am not knitting but have been thinking of taking it up again so ventured back to the board. I saw your message and will try your advice. Thank you
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by MsB View Post
Sadly I still am not knitting but have been thinking of taking it up again so ventured back to the board. I saw your message and will try your advice. Thank you
You may not be able to knit as much as you used to, but if you take it slowly and stop and rest at the first sign of any discomfort it may be okay. In fact take breaks regularly so it doesn't start up again. Nice to see you again.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
lovekittycats1965
Casting On

I had that happen to me for the first time this year. I finally went to my doctor and he gave me a short of cortizone and something else. So there are other things that can be done.

It hurt for at least a month after the shot. I finally just tried to do as little as possible. I blame the xmas cleaning i did so i didn't do ANY cleaning or anything that i needed to do that would cause me to need to squeeze or put pressure on my right hand. It finally let up after that.

Links to free knitting patterns from all over the world. Google translate rocks!

Free International Knitting Patterns
lovekittycats1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The cortisone will sometimes clear up the pain, sometimes not, but it's just a bandaid - it doesn't help the problem actually go away.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote