Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
Cable stitch on a purl row?
Oh this butter tank is now giving me a head ache. I know what c6f means. slipp the first 3 stitches purl wise, knit the next 3, return the 1st 3 to needle and knit, what if I am cabling on a purl row? Do I then do the opposite, slip stitches knit wise, purl the next 3 then slip stitches back and purl those?
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
On a knit row, slip 3 to the front, the cable leans left. On a purl row, do the same thing, slip 3 to the front purlwise, purl 3, purl 3 from cable needle and the cable seen from the knit side will lean left..
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You only cable on a knit row. On the purl side, you will generally knit the knits and purl the purls. It helps if you can tell which are which. Knit stitches look like little V's and purl stitches look like the turtle neck on a turtle neck sweater. Cabling isn't that hard. You're only doing it every fourth or sixth row or whatever, depending on your cable directions specified amount. The rest of the rows are all straight knitting, so you do need to know what the stitches look like. It beats having to count or be chained to the pattern if you can just eyeball it.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Christinechrstms1 (07-04-2012)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
rshagen
Casting On

knitting cables on a purl row
Now I am confused as the two replies are contradictory. My fourth row is a purl row: knit one, purl four, knit one. Do I purl the cable or knit it?
rshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Actually, I think we're just talking about different aspects of the wonderful world of cables. Usually cables cross on the knit row which is the right side (RS) row.
If you're fourth row isn't a cable cross and the directions are just "..knit one, purl four, knit one..", then go ahead and do just that. Is the purl four the wrong side (or back) of the cable? If you could provide a link to the pattern or the pattern name, that would help too.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
rshagen
Casting On

cable row is a purl row
To answer your question, yes the purl row (the fourth row) is a cable row.
The pattern is from Cascade yarns, Cascade 128 Superwash Weskit vets designed by Betty Balcomb.
Actually I do not understand the part after you knit three inches ending with a wrong side row (does that mean the last side you knit is on the wrong side?) ( I have been knitting these three inches on a circular needle suing two balls of yarn and so two separate pieces.)
Now I join them to knit in the round. But how is that open flap in the back closed? At the end it says there is no finishing or hand sewing required....although it could be just sewn to gather by hand since I can't figure any other way.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,637 Posts
Is this your pattern? http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patterns...kit%20Vest.pdf

I can tell you that the last row you work will be a wrong side row (ending with a wrong side row) but must let someone more skilled and experienced look at the rest. HTH

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
My only experience with cables is this rule of thumb: cables are crossed when the RS of the work is facing you, and the cables are usually knit stitches. On the WS of the row...you will not cross the cables. You will "knit the knits, purl the purls" as they present themselves.

So if a 3x3 cable (C6F) reads like this...P2, C6F, P2....then on the WS you will work those 10 like this:
K2, P6, K2.

That's been my experience. And if GrumpyGrammas link to that Weskit is correct, FOR SURE that is how you'd work those 10 stitches.

Oh, BTW...any cable like C6F is usually flanked by 2 purls. It helps set off the cable.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Yes, essentially all cables cross on the right side row (the row facing outward as you wear the garment). For the first set of cables, the side cables, the pattern is p1k4p1:
"Repeat rows 1 and 2 working a C4B on the middle 4 stitches on 3rd row (not counting seed st) and then every 4th row. These 4‐stitch cables will form the side seams."
So the cable cross in on row 3 and then row 7, 11, 15 etc., all RS rows (or knit rows in the main body of the vest).
And yes, that means the last side you knit is on the wrong side or purl row in the main body of the vest.
There's an open flap in the center back and one in the center front after you join to knit in the round. Don't close it up if you want the look of the pattern picture. If you don't like that open vent, then just seam the vent closed. It's very neat the way the two pieces are joined at front and back with the cable cross (although, for me I think there's a typo that confuses right and left needle in line 10:
"On the last row, stop while there are still 4 sts on
the left needle. Join pieces into the round on the next row as follows. Slip the 4 sts remaining
on the right needle onto a cable needle and hold in back...")
Long story but nicely done pattern. Enjoy it!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
rshagen
Casting On

Weskit, Cascade 128
I am having trouble at this very same point. In reply to "Salmon....": I have also thought there has to be a typo at that point. But then how should it read?
Ending with those four stitches on the wrong side, the purl side, how then do I cable on the right side?! It says...."On the next row slip the four stitches remaining on the right needle....." Does that mean to turn the whole thing around so I have the knit side and then cable. When I try that, the second set of four stitches are in the wrong place.