Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
npeace69
Casting On

Translating a Vintage Pattern
While visiting my 90 year old grandmother I noticed a box by her chair with a beautiful partially done knitting project. She informed me that it was a bedspread her mother had started 74 years earlier. She still has all of the cotton yarn to finish the bedspread and all supplies are in perfect condition. We decided that finishing this project would be the perfect "next" project for me. The problem comes in translating the Ann Orr book 37 pattern. Here is a row that is throwing me off. "k1, o, n, k1 s and b, k7, n, k1, n, o, k1" My grandmother could remember that "o" is the same as "yo" in modern patterns, but has no clue what the "n", "s" or "b" mean.
Can anyone out there help with this? My grandmother found the original book, but the pages with the abbreviations are missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
npeace69 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Perhaps this list of vintage knitting abbreviations will help: http://heirloomknits.com/vintageknit...viations.shtml
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
npeace69
Casting On

Thank You
Thank You Antares! It covers 2 of them. Now off to find out what "b" might mean.
npeace69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by npeace69 View Post
Thank You Antares! It covers 2 of them. Now off to find out what "b" might mean.
I have a book by Nancie Wiseman "Lace from the Attic: A Victorian Notebook of Knitted Lace Patterns". The author (Nancie) was gifted with a old old old notebook filled with lace knitting patterns when she owned Nancie Knits in California. A lady named Madeline Eid walked in one day and asked Nanice if she'd like this old book of handwritten lace patterns by Miss Blanche Beau. It had been recovered from the attic of an old Victoria house.

Interpreting the abbreviations turned out to be a great challenge.

Anyway, after much research and lots of help from old time knitters, Nancie was able to decipher these abbreviations, and the book Lace from the Attic contains all the lace patterns 'deciphered'!

I looked in the book for you. Blanche used the term S and B for 'slip one, knit one, pass the slipped stitch over'. S and B means slip and bind off. B meant bind off. S meant slip one.

And O meant yarnover, as you now know, as a increase. N meant K2T as a decrease.

OSN meant yarn over, slip one, K2T.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I hope it helps you solve your mystery.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Would it mean 'tbl' through the back loop? Or an increase like 'bar' increase?

I think it's great you want to finish your GGrandmother's bedspread, and I bet your grandma is tickled too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
'S and b' is a series of sts: slip one, knit 1, pass slipped st over. It's certainly not immediately obvious but it's literally a 'slip and bind'.
What a great project and heirloom! It would be wonderful to see it finally finished.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
suzeeq (07-10-2012)