Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Ooooh, Art Lady, I like, I like it a lot!
Wish I had room for that...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Antares
Working the Gusset

Most of my yarn is stored in several of those hanging shoe/sweater containers (like this: http://www.containerstore.com/review...uctId=10005136) and is hung in a closet. This makes for easy accessibility--but it also allows the hubby to gauge exactly how much yarn I have (uh oh).

If you decide to go this route, there are expensive containers out there that are specifically made to hold yarn. However, why you need a specialty one is beyond me. The sweater (and shoe) containers work perfectly and can be found for very cheap! In fact, I "came up" with this storage idea long before I saw the expensive yarn-specific ones. (But you know how marketing people are: they try to sell you, say, a specialty quesadilla maker when a skillet works perfectly fine!)

My "other" yarn is stashed in plastic bags, paper sacks, and totes and is probably knitted or crocheted into UFOs.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh yes, I have lots of it stored 'on the needles' too, and they're stuffed into the plastic bags and totes along with the unworked yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Zippered plastic (acrylic?) project bags.

I have bags similar to these, but much, *much* smaller because mine are all packaging from curtains and bedsheets.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,879 Times in 3,000 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have bags similar to these, but much, *much* smaller because mine are all packaging from curtains and bedsheets.
I purchased 2 sizes. The smallest size holds 10-12 skeins/balls/hanks of dk yarn. The medium size would hold 20-25 dk yarn. More or less for fingering or worsted or bulky yarns, of course.

I originally purchased two of the small size at my LYS, but the cost of about $4 each prohibited the purchase of more bags.

But one day, as I was looking around in their Accessories tab at WoodlandWoolworks.com (they are no longer in business) I spotted the very same "project bag" for $1.25. HOLY HANDBAGS! They also carried med and lrg sizes. So I also purchased the med size. I'm a sweater knitter, so these bags keep a "sweater's worth" of yarn fresh and safe from dust and bugs until I get around to knitting the garment!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I purchased 2 sizes. The smallest size holds 10-12 skeins/balls/hanks of dk yarn. The medium size would hold 20-25 dk yarn. More or less for fingering or worsted or bulky yarns, of course.

I originally purchased two of the small size at my LYS, but the cost of about $4 each prohibited the purchase of more bags.

But one day, as I was looking around in their Accessories tab at WoodlandWoolworks.com (they are no longer in business) I spotted the very same "project bag" for $1.25. HOLY HANDBAGS! They also carried med and lrg sizes. So I also purchased the med size. I'm a sweater knitter, so these bags keep a "sweater's worth" of yarn fresh and safe from dust and bugs until I get around to knitting the garment!
Artlady,

Where can I buy those zipper bags?? I know that quilts/blankets and sheet sets are sold in them, but I just want the bags. Any ideas on what I would call them to do a search on google??

THANKS, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
Artlady, Where can I buy those zipper bags?? I know that quilts/blankets and sheet sets are sold in them, but I just want the bags. Any ideas on what I would call them to do a search on google?
I've been surfing around on the web, looking for them...but so far haven't found them in my yarn bag sizes. There is a company called ULine.com...I've purchased these same zipped vinyl bags from them in larger sizes. The bags I got from them hold a sweater, with room to spare...or a sweater coat. The smallest zipped vinyl bag ULine carries is 15 x 18 x 3". Click here.

The two sizes I purchased from WoodlandWoolworks are:

11 x 9 x 3" (with 14 balls Berroco Pure Merino,worsted wt)

15 x 12 x 4" (with 22 balls Plymouth Tweed, aran wt)

So keep surfing the web...type clear zippered vinyl bags into Google Search. I hope you find them. I'll keep looking, too. It sorta bugs me that my size bags have seemingly disappeared when WoodlandWoolworks went out of business. BTW, I went to their website to see if they were still offering anything, and they do have a page filled with referring links. So try that, too.

Edited to add: I messaged the Elkins at yarn.com (WEBS) and inquired about the bags. Will let you know what WEBS says.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
You got me curious so I had to search, too. Dollyce, you'll have to weigh in here as whether these are similar or would work.

These have a tightly meshed end for breathablity.
http://www.grandriveryarns.com/acc-stash-bag.htm

Not meshed
http://www.premieryarns.com/product/...+x+61cm+1.aspx

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You got me curious so I had to search, too. Dollyce, you'll have to weigh in here as whether these are similar or would work.

These have a tightly meshed end for breathablity.
http://www.grandriveryarns.com/acc-stash-bag.htm

Not meshed
http://www.premieryarns.com/product/...+x+61cm+1.aspx
The 'tightly meshed' bags are waaayyyy too big, IMO.

The 'not meshed' bags...one of them is about the same size as my medium-sized bag
(15 x 12 x 4": 720 cubic inches) $2.75

Here's a photo of the 'not meshed' medium-sized bag that you found:

(14 x 6.5 x 9"
: 819 cubic inches) $3.99

I kinda like the handle on top!

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Another idea I had: visit all the yarn websites you can think of...and click onto their Accessories tab,
or Storage, or Tools. Those tabs are where they'd put the vinyl zipped bags for sale.

Artlady at Rav