Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
sampson001
Casting On

Charity Knitting
Originally Posted by knittysweet5 View Post
Yesterday I was explaining to someone why i felt the urge to donate time, money, and effort in knitting items to worthy causes. This woman then told me it was useless to give handmade 'stuff' but rather go out and by 'new products'. I am confused now, if it's charity and a hobby, aren't I being productive either way? She kinda made me rethink motives/priorities, but then I realized I have compassion and someone if only one person/animal shows happiness/warmth then my task is completed. Thank you.
Your are doing good productive work, lots of people love hand knitting but so many people cannot knit. This lady reminds me of the people from one of our affluent cities that give their old clothes and broken toys to chartiy drive and think they are being so good giving to quote 'those poor people'. Keep up your good work and enjoy what you do.

Judy
sampson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sampson001 For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-02-2011), Paulaque (02-13-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Should she ever find herself in the same place as those in need (real need), she'll think differently and hopefully appreciate anything someone else would do for her. Even a stranger.

We just came through the Thanksgiving holiday, but I wonder just how many people are truly grateful for what they have. A lot of people have no concept of what gratitude and thankfulness mean.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-02-2011), Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
bevq
Casting On

Charity knitting
Many people who need warm clothing etc love that the items they receive have been made by another human, someone who cared enough to make it. Store bought is just that, someone took a few minutes and their money to buy something for them. Appreciated but not filled with love like handmade.

I remember years ago a friend of mine who used to take leprosy bandages to the colonies in India, told me that the people who received them would be SO grateful and shocked that someone took all that time to make their bandages. They often would hug them and with tears in their eyes, would say a prayer for the knitter.

Just my 2 cents...
bevq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bevq For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by bevq View Post
Many people who need warm clothing etc love that the items they receive have been made by another human, someone who cared enough to make it. Store bought is just that, someone took a few minutes and their money to buy something for them. Appreciated but not filled with love like handmade.

I remember years ago a friend of mine who used to take leprosy bandages to the colonies in India, told me that the people who received them would be SO grateful and shocked that someone took all that time to make their bandages. They often would hug them and with tears in their eyes, would say a prayer for the knitter.

Just my 2 cents...
Well, pass this on to your "friend", let's see what happens? https://givingfirst.org/index.php?se...namic&cmsID=36

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
KnitKath
Ribbing the Cuff

KnitySweet:
It's been my experience, that whenever I've given a hand-made knitted item to someone they have always appreciated that I had taken the time to make them something myself. Keep up
the good work!
K

"Cats are God's little angels....with fur."

On The Needles: Pair of Woman's Slippers
KnitKath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnitKath For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
Many people who do not give will criticize those who do or make an excuse why they don't give. I am guessing that this lady is someone who shoots down people any chance she can get and then offers what she says is " a better way" whether she actually believes it of not. She really is not worth your anger. Glad to hear that you help others out so.
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christinechrstms1 For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
klea1963
Casting On

You have a talent that God has given you. We were called to use our talents, not hide them away, just as Christ showed us in the parable of the servants who invested and increased their talents v the one who buried his away. Using your talents to help others is a noble thing. She expressed just one person's narrow-minded opinion. If homemade items are worthless then why are quilt shows and craft shows always so crowded? Please be encouraged to continue using your talents to help others and hold your head high in doing so. Good bless!
klea1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klea1963 For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (02-13-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Gemini
Ribbing the Cuff

Somebody once told me how jealous she was of me that I always wore hand knitted jumpers.

I always thought that handmade was the best quality.

Look how much you have to pay for hand finished suits and shoes!

Tell that lady about Savile Row.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote