Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
WIP: Banana Tree Cardigan
I knit a modified version of the Banana Tree cardigan in Dec 2010.

The banana tree leaf pattern needs a simple yarn, not a textured yarn...
(like the yarn I was determined to use back in 2010!).

But I always wanted to knit this cardigan again, just like it was supposed to be knit, no changes to the pattern stitch along the Front edges! It's a cute casual sweater, no frills...with the exception of the banana tree leaves running up the front edges. Love those banana tree leaves!

So here it is, mid-2012...I finally found a yarn (and color) that calls to me for the Banana Tree!

It's a FREE pattern.

The body is cast on in one wide piece (not in 3 pieces for both fronts and the back, which I prefer), but I couldn't figure out the cast on numbers (math) to knit it in pieces...so I gave in...and cast on 235 stitches. Bah.

It's slow going, let me tell ya! I'm making headway. The body is up to 11"...with 3 inches to go before I bind off for the armholes and begin working the upper body for the back, and two fronts, separately. Oh I can hardly wait for that!

Yes, I'll bind off for armholes when the body is 14" rather than the pattern 16". I want to allow for the growth I think will occur when I block it, using the full soak blocking. I don't want this cardigan to resemble a short bathrobe.

This yarn is knitting up wonky. That is to say...the V shape of the knits from the RS are icky. One leg might be lopsided. But I noticed that stretching the work this way and that will 'right' the knit stitches. So I am certain the full-on full-soak blocking will be needed to shape up the look of the knits. I had success with this with a cotton baby set I knit several years ago. The yarn was cotton, and although folks say you can't block cotton, or don't need to, I beg to differ. You can use blocking to accomplish numerous goals.

Here is my progress:

See the banana tree leaves?

Below: see how those 4 knits (of the faux ribbing) are wonky in places?
Well this drives me absolutely insane. I'll not rest til it's fixed.

My Ravelry notes

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote