Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Double Pointed Needles
I have made several attempts to knit in the round -- socks, hats, doggy sweaters, and round blankets. I've used Magic Loop and tried two circular needles; in either case, I don't enjoy the knitting and quickly give it up.

I'm thinking now of experimenting with double pointed needles. If you use them, what do you like about them? How do I decide what kind and size to start with? Are they hard to learn? Any helpful tips or tricks for getting started?

I want to learn how to make socks, if that helps. I think I wouldn't mind using ML with larger diameter projects, where I do not have to split the stitches in half.

In circs, I'm happily using both Addi and KP Harmony sets. I'm thinking of getting some relatively inexpensive Clover DPNs from Michaels to try out but haven't been to the store to see what kinds or choices I have.

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I find the Clovers are great--not too slippery. I think your best bet to learn easily with dpns is to start a hat on a short circular, and when you get down to too few stitches to fit, then switch to dpns.

You're really only knitting with the two needles--the others are holding stitches. The hardest part for me is getting started, but once you have a row or two done, it's easy.

I prefer dpns to using other methods because there's less fussing around--just knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I would recommend trying at hat on dpns. At first they're a bit intimidating all of these pointy sticks. I was so afraid that my stitches would fall off when I first tried it. But once you get used to them, it's fairly simple. You just knit from needle to needle.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

I think the idea of starting with a hat is excellent advice. That way, you'll get used to the DPNs without having to start out on them, which as others have said, can be a bit tricky! The positive side of starting out with DPNs, though, is that it gets much easier even after the first round!

I have some Clover DPNs (bamboo) that I love. They are, as someone else pointed out, somewhat sticky which helps keep your stitches from sliding off the needles--especially on needles that aren't being immediately worked with.

Here are a couple of tips for you that I've found helpful:

1. For the most part, ignore the other needles--except for the ones you're working with, of course. The only exception to this is when I scoot the yarn close to the needle tips (but not so close that it slips off). This is especially true for the two needles closest to where I'm working, but often I do it for the "next" needle in line to be knitted, too. This keeps the bulk of the needles away from where I'm working.

2. When you move from one needle to the next, give a good tug on the first stitch on the new needle to prevent gaps.

3. Sometimes I will shift the stitches around (i.e., move more stitches to a needle). I do this to make sure that I don't have holes between needles, but if you do #2 above correctly, it's probably not necessary.

I would also recommend first buying the needles you can easily find. That way, you can see if DPNs are something you like. Then, once you determine whether you like them, you can look for and invest in DPNs for your preferred sock yarn. I will say this, though, sizes 6-10 will probably be a bit more manageable for learning purposes, so if Michaels has one of those sizes, you might start with one of them.

I find working with DPNs very satisfying. There's something about knitting all the stitches off one needle at a time that brings about a sense of accomplishment in me. Corny, I know, but there you have it!

Happy knitting and I hope DPNs turns out to be a technique you love!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-05-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,976 Posts
I second or third the bamboo needles. I found metal needles just too slippery although when my needle went shooting out of the sts it caused great hilarity in my family.
When do get to knitting something that starts on dpns, it may be easier to knit the first row flat and then go to the dpns in the round. Just getting past that first row at the beginning makes it all easier. Also, using 5 needles total takes some of the strain off the knitted tube as well: sts on 4 needles and the 5th to knit with.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I started knitting in the round by using DPN. They are easier on a heavier yarn like that before you do socks. I also use the Clover bamboo.

I mostly use magic loop now except on very tiny things like baby socks or the head on Woobies.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks! These are just the kind of suggestions I wanted.

I promised my mother in law a second sweater for her dachshund, but haven't been able to face working in the round again -- I think I might try that for my first project. It is mostly a tube -- especially the first part, which is a ribbed collar -- and is kind of familiar since I've already done one.

My son's llama was not really a good dachshund substitute.

Overall, it wasn't a bad project -- but I have been dreading the idea of working in the round again!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Another thing I thought of...what length cable were you using for the dog sweater? I find using a 40" cable for magic loop much easier. I am doing a sleeve now with modified magic loop and i don't like it as much.

Just a thought.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,976 Posts
Wow, that is so cute! I'll bet your mum-in-law's dog looks adorable. A second sweater would be so worthwhile.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Another thing I thought of...what length cable were you using for the dog sweater? I find using a 40" cable for magic loop much easier. I am doing a sleeve now with modified magic loop and i don't like it as much.

Just a thought.

It was a 40" cable attached to Harmony tips. It wasn't difficult, I just didn't enjoy it and I'm not sure why. I suspect that is the reason I haven't started the second sweater yet.