Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

How are you VS How are you doing?
Hi.

Being an english linguistics student, I would like to know whether to you, there is a difference between "How are you" and "How are you doing".

I have been told there is, but I would like to get "real" results.

If you comment, please tell me how they differ to you and what kind of english (american, british, australian,...) you are speaking.

Thank you very much.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

American (Texan) English speaker here--there's no difference for me, except that "How are you doing?" MIGHT have more emphasis. But really, I can ask "How are you?" with the same amount of emphasis, so I don't differentiate.

Interesting that some people think there is a difference. Hope you'll share what that might be.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I just speak American English. I live in Southern California.

I think they mean the same thing really, but they might be used in different circumstances. I think I'd use "how are you doing" to so done I know and "how are you" with someone I just don't know or know as well although either would work fine in both situations.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
American speaker here. Yes, "How are you?" seems slightly more formal in comparison with "How are you doing?".
Also "How are you doing?" uniquely fits the situation where you're checking on how someone is progressing with a task or dealing with a situation.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
"How are you?" seems slightly more formal in comparison with "How are you doing?"
That's funny, Mary Anne, because I would have said the opposite, that "How are you" sounds more casual. Here in Massachusetts (America), I often hear that used very casually, like by the cashier at the check out line.

blueygh2, to answer your question, to my ear it means the exact same thing, and people always answer it as if it is (although they'd be more honest if it was asked sincerely, than if casually). In the statement "How are you?," there is an implied "doing?" at the end. I don't even know what it would mean to ask someone "How are you?" without that implied doing. Are there other implied meanings in other countries?

"How are you feeling?" is also implied. If someone isn't feeling well emotionally, they aren't likely to answer, "Great." They might say "Okay," or "Pretty good" in a flat tone, if they don't want to get into the details with a stranger.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I speak american english - both yankee and southern : ) I am a science major, not an english major so take my answer with a grain of salt.
I would say that "how are you" has almost become a casual greeting and most people expect you just to say - "great, and you?" I seldom answer the question when asked by strangers. To me if I am talking to a friend and know they have been dealing with a situation I will say "how are you doing (today, this week, or with X situation)" I think what you say is less important than how you say it and whether or not you look the person in the eye and stand still to hear the answer to the question.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote