Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
ninz
Ribbing the Cuff

Stuck on my Sirdar Tank top
Ok so I have almost finished the front of the tank top, I have finished the back and it measures 22cm which is what is recommended.

I have come to a part on the front where I am doing the shoulders. It says:

Cont in double moss-st patt until armhole measures 12 cm ending with a ws row.

Now this is where I am stuck. Take a look at the picture here

Now the front is on the left but I don't know how long it should be. Should the front and back be the same size, or would the front be bigger than the back?

It says the armhole is 12cm but I do not know here the armhole starts.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you
ninz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you have a link to the pattern? Are the stitches on the holder for the neck? It seems awfully wide in comparison to the width of the entire piece.

The armhole for the front should match the back, where you BO a few stitches and then decrease on the same edge. Were you to put the sts on the holder for the neck, then finish the row, turn and BO on that edge? Something doesn't look right, so a link to the pattern, or a picture of it could help clear that up.

Last edited by suzeeq : 08-20-2012 at 04:38 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Usually the front and back are the same length from the beginning of the armnole shaping. The directions for the back should also tell you to stop at 12cm from the beginning of the armhole. You measure the armhole from the first bind off of however many sts (maybe 4 or 5). Just start to measure from about the row that first bind off occurred in and go up to the needle. Did you forget to bind off for the front armholes?
Looking good in very pretty yarn!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
ninz
Ribbing the Cuff

oooh I hope I haven't done it wrong, I have followed exactly as it says. Probably just got confused.

This is the pattern I am doing

http://www.deramores.com/sweater-and...peckle-dk-1356

I am doing a 0-6 month baby tank top as I thought it should be the easiest to start. I knew I would do something wrong :(

I am not sure how to show the pattern... scanning in will probably get me into trouble?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
ninz
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Usually the front and back are the same length from the beginning of the armnole shaping. The directions for the back should also tell you to stop at 12cm from the beginning of the armhole. You measure the armhole from the first bind off of however many sts (maybe 4 or 5). Just start to measure from about the row that first bind off occurred in and go up to the needle. Did you forget to bind off for the front armholes?
Looking good in very pretty yarn!
I was told that the back is to be 10cm and then it tells me to do a couple of rows etc and then it tells me to measure the arm holes until 12cm... when I started the front, it told me to make it 12cm and then do a few rows, then it told me to put 20 on a stitch holder and just carry on with the 19 for now... now it's telling me to make the armhole up to 12cm. Im just so stuck :(
Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well, a couple rows is only about 2cm, so that sounds right. Looking at the back piece, you bound off at the sides, then did decs to make the armholes. For the front you would usually do the same thing. The 20 sts are the other shoulder and the bottom of the V and it looks like you did the decs for the neck. But maybe you skipped over the Armhole Shaping section?

It's okay to copy a few rows of the pattern into a post, then we can see how it actually reads in case you missed something or are interpreting the pattern incorrectly. What does it say for the whole Front?

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ninz (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
ninz
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Well, a couple rows is only about 2cm, so that sounds right. Looking at the back piece, you bound off at the sides, then did decs to make the armholes. For the front you would usually do the same thing. The 20 sts are the other shoulder and the bottom of the V and it looks like you did the decs for the neck. But maybe you skipped over the Armhole Shaping section?

It's okay to copy a few rows of the pattern into a post, then we can see how it actually reads in case you missed something or are interpreting the pattern incorrectly. What does it say for the whole Front?
Thank you so much. I will take a picture of front for you to have a look at. Just waiting for the battery to charge on my camera.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Check and see if there's a section of the pattern for armhole shaping for the back (which it look like you did) and then also a section for armhole shaping for the front. Usually those two sections are the same or very similar. This is very correctable by taking out some rows, so don't be too concerned.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
ninz (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
ninz
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok so here it is...

This is the Front and it says to follow the back until ***

So here is the pattern to the back until *** (which is on the second picture)

Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, the "Work as given for Back until ***" is right up to the armhole shaping. After the Divide for Neck, does it say anything about 'At the Same Time' later on? Since it mentions to work the front armhole to a certain length, it's got to be in there somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ninz (08-20-2012)