Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
lakatsylvstr
Casting On

New knitter needing help with a pattern
Hello all!
I'm a fairly new knitter who has tackled a BabyDrops 17-5 pattern to make a baby poncho. In the pattern it asks me to..."dec 1 st on the left side of the pearl section by k2tog" I guess my question is how do I know what side is left ? Essentially it asks me to follow a chart which they label as "M.1." then ask me to p26 sts, then follow another chart they call " M.2.", then p another 26 sts. I get that the p section is those 26 perks, but do I do my decrease (k2tog) at the beginning of the group of 26 sts or at the end? Which is the left? Can you please help a new knitter who's determined to conquer this patter even if I go crazy trying
lakatsylvstr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,344 Times in 3,028 Posts
It's a very cute pattern so no wonder you want to do it.
The poncho is knit in the round so as you're knitting from the needle in your left hand to the needle in your right hand you purl through 24 of the 26 purl sts and then purl the last 2 together before working the chart. That's purl2 tog at the end of the purl section. The same is true for the second section of purl sts. Looking at the outside or public side of the poncho, the left side is the left edge of the purl section as it faces you.
Welcome to Knitting Help!

Last edited by salmonmac : 08-25-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: purl sts
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
lakatsylvstr
Casting On

Thanks You:)
Thank you soooo much for your help, I will continue (thanks to your help) but my next question is...can I write you again if I have any more questions? I only ask b/c reading forward, I already see more question marks dancing in my head. I think I get what you're saying but moving forward it says something like "continue in the pattern, at the same time, on the second round dec 1 st on the left side of each pearl section by p2tog. Repeat the dec on every 3rd round on the right and left side of each pearl section alternately a total of 20 times"
So already I'm questioning does that mean I p2tog on both the left and right of each pearl section or do I p2tog on the left and then 3 rows later p2tog on the right? I really am not sure I'm getting it? But am very thankful for your help. Thanks again. Your help is EXTREMELY appreciated.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Sure, ask all you want. If it's a new topic or question unrelated to your previous you can start a new thread.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,344 Times in 3,028 Posts
Oh, sure, come back as many times as you'd like. We're all glad to help you.
"continue in the pattern, at the same time, on the second round dec 1 st on the left side of each pearl section by p2tog. Repeat the dec on every 3rd round on the right and left side of each pearl section alternately a total of 20 times"
The pattern wants you to alternate the place where you do the decrease: p2tog on the left and then 3 rows later p2tog on the right until you've done a total of 20 decrease rounds.
Love to see a picture of your finished poncho, too.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
lakatsylvstr
Casting On

Thanks
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll definitely follow the how to post guidelines and thanks for responding to my question about the pattern. I will certainly post a picture of my completed project once I get it finished. If I finish it will be in large part thank to your help