Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
googoo
Casting On

How to read this pattern
I need help please. I am a new starter for knitting bolero and I don't understand how to read the following pattern lines:

I casted on 126 and worked thru:
Shape Armholes: Cast off 9 sts at beg of next 2 rows..108sts. Dec one st at each end of next and foll alt rows until 92 sts rem. Work 49 rows stockings.

Shape Back Neck:
Next Row: K31, turn. Cont on these 31 sts for right side of back neck. Purl 1 row. Dec one st at neck edge in next and foll alt rows until 26 sts rem. Purl 1 row.

Shape Shoulder: Cast off 9 sts at beg of next and foll alt row.

Please help on how to read the above pattern in a easy to understand way???

What's Dec one st at each end of next and foll alt rows??
After I done the Shape Armholes, do I cast off or cont. on to Shape Back neck?
What's Dec one st at neck edge in next and foll alt rows?
Do I cont on to Shpae shoulder? and no need to cast off the pieces, just go on with cast off 9 sts? but what does it mean by Cast off 9 sts at beg of next and foll alt row???

Please help and thank you so much.

Googoo
googoo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
What's Dec one st at each end of next and foll alt rows?? On the next row decrease one st at (or near) the beginning of the row and one st at (or near) the end of the row, 2 sts decreased on this row. Work the next row in whatever stitch you're doing and then decrease ot the beginning and end of the next row. Continue working one row with no decreases, the next row with a decrease at the beginning and at the end of the row until there are 92sts left.

After I done the Shape Armholes, do I cast off or cont. on to Shape Back neck? Work the 49 rows and then continue directly on to Shape Back neck.

What's Dec one st at neck edge in next and foll alt rows? Now you're going to work on only some of the sts, with an opening for the neck. You'll be working up one shoulder. One edge is the armhole edge and the other edge is the neck edge. Decrease at the neck edge.

Do I cont on to Shpae shoulder? Working from the armhole edge, cast off 9sts, knit across the row, turn, purl back across the row and then turn. Bind off 9 sts again on this row at the armhole edge.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
googoo
Casting On

Thank you so much, but need more help !! please
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
What's Dec one st at each end of next and foll alt rows?? On the next row decrease one st at (or near) the beginning of the row and one st at (or near) the end of the row, 2 sts decreased on this row. Work the next row in whatever stitch you're doing and then decrease ot the beginning and end of the next row. Continue working one row with no decreases, the next row with a decrease at the beginning and at the end of the row until there are 92sts left.

After I done the Shape Armholes, do I cast off or cont. on to Shape Back neck? Work the 49 rows and then continue directly on to Shape Back neck.

What's Dec one st at neck edge in next and foll alt rows? Now you're going to work on only some of the sts, with an opening for the neck. You'll be working up one shoulder. One edge is the armhole edge and the other edge is the neck edge. Decrease at the neck edge.

Do I cont on to Shpae shoulder? Working from the armhole edge, cast off 9sts, knit across the row, turn, purl back across the row and then turn. Bind off 9 sts again on this row at the armhole edge.
Thank you so much. It really helps. But I have more questios please:

On the Shape Back Neck: K31, turn cont on these 31 sts for right side of back neck. Purl 1 row. Decrease one st at neck edge in next and foll alt rows until 26 sts rem. Purl 1 row.

Do I purl 1 entire row for all 92 sts? or just the 31 sts?
Do I decrease one st at the beg of just the 31 sts rows? and every row of the 31 sts rows? or every other rows of the 31 sts rows until 26 sts rem? Again, do I purl 1 entire row? or just the now 26 sts row??

Shape Sholder: Cast off 9 sts at beg of next and foll alt row. Work 1 row. Cast off rem 8 sts. Slip next 30 sts onto a stitch holder and leave for band. With right side facing, join yarn to rem 31 sts and knit to end.??? Please tell me what does all the above mean?? I am so lost?

Cont on these 31 sts for left side of back neck. Purl 1 row. Dec one st at neck edge in next and foll alt row until 26 sts rem. work 2 rows stocking st. ?? So, do I dec one sts every row in the beg. or at the end until 26? Work 2 rows stocking st. IS this = 1 row k and 1 row p? Also, for Decrease sts, do I do K2 together? or which type of sts should I do the decrease sts on?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first project with clothing, all my prior projects were just scrafs.

Again, very appreciated your help any one.

Thank you very much,
Googoo.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
googoo
Casting On

Need help on reading the Pattern
This is my first time on how to knit cloth. My other projects are just the scrafs. So, I wanted to try this Bolero, and move on to sweater hopefully. But I am so stock with how to read the pattern at this time. I would post the link or a copy of my pattern, but I am not sure can I attach the copy of the whole pattern? I only know the web. www.lincraft.com.au project # 1028.

Thanks, I will and do need a lots of help......
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

The first time is always a challenge and that's part of the fun of it. Some of your questions are going to be more obvious as you progress with the sweater. When you see the stitches on the needle it will be clearer to you.

Continue on just the 31sts, turn and purl one complete row, turn and knit over to the neck edge. Decrease one stitch here at the neck edge (the end of the knit row) and continue on decreasing at the neck edge every other row until 26sts remain. Purl back across the row on just the 26sts. You're working one shoulder of the bolero for the moment.

After the last "purl 26sts across the row", you'll have the knit side facing you, armhole on the right, neck edge on the left. Cast off 9sts and continue to the end of the row, turn, purl across the row, turn, bind off 9sts and knit across to the end of the row. Now purl across the 8 remaining sts, turn, bind off the 8sts, cut the yarn leaving ~6 inch tail and thread the tail through the one remaining st on the needle.

Somewhere it must have told you to put the center 30sts onto a holder (I can't see the pattern from a search of your link. A direct link is OK to do.) Now you're going to work on the other shoulder, reversing the shaping at the armholes and the neck edge. Put the 31 remaining sts onto a needle with the edge that will be the armhole at the tip of the needle, take a new end of yarn and purl across the 31sts. (You should have the sts on the needle so that you're on a purl row of the stockinette st.) Turn and dec 1 st (you're at the neck edge here at the beginning of the knit row and yes, a k2tog will work here.) Decrease at the neck edge on every other row until 26sts, work 2 rows across the 26sts in stockinette (yes, knit a row and purl a row, in whatever order to maintain the pattern).
Work throught the directions with the sts on the needle one step at a time and I think it'll all make more sense. It seems like a well written pattern. Come back if you have more questions. That's what we do. Good luck with the bolero!
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
googoo (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
googoo
Casting On

Thank you Salmonmac
Thank you very much for the detail information. I will try out first, and will come back for more questions. . I wish I could go to a kniting club to learn and share thoughts, but I can't fine one near me and I have no one to ask for. Therefore, your help on writing back is so kind of you. Thank you so so much. I will go find the project link and post in next time. So glad for you to write back. Thank you, Thank you....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
googoo
Casting On

How to work with this pattern
http://www.lincraft.com.au/view_project.php?id=251
Project Library
#1028 - Bamboo Bolero
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ry/boleros.php
http://www.lincraft.com.au/view_project.php?id=251

Hi, the above is the link for the Bamboo Bolero. That I will start working and will ask more questions as I move on.

Please be patient with me. Thank you.!!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Think of Knitting Help as your own huge knitting group. Come back with questions and when you're finished, it'd be great to see a picture of this lovely bolero.
Thanks very much for the link. Looks good.