Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Jan,

The pattern is this:
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.ph...tern_id=000024

The sleeves have a pattern at the end and that why I am unable to understand howmany rows shall I increase to make the sleeve of 8". Currently they are 6"
vvs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

Sorry the link is here:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...n-baby-sweater
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't count rows for something like this, I use the tape measure. That's why it's given in inches, not rows. Just work the plain sts 2 more inches than is given, then do the eyelet rows. It says "Work back & forth on these left sleeve sts only until length from point if division is 3 (4, 4)”, ending with a WS row. Work 3 pattern repeats as follows:" That's where you add length to the sleeves, not at the end in the eyelet pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

urgent
The link to the pattern m working is posted above in my main post. Based on the pattern I was to have 157 sets before I divide for sleeves. But since my guage Did not match the pattern, I be 5 sets per inch. So I added rows and I have 161 sets instead of 157. Now I m working on body part and ve 103 sts.as per pattern they want me to ve kf&b to increase body sets from 99 to 103. But I already have 103. If I don't do kf&b will it matter?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
It sounds like you may be making the largest size which calls for 103sts for the body of the sweater. At 4sts/inch which is the pattern gauge, that makes the body 26" at the chest as the pattern says. If you're really getting 5sts/inch (?) then you'd need 130sts at this point to get 26". Check you gauge on the back of the sweater over at least 4 inches. Or you can knit a few rows on the body and see what the entire body width measures. If it's smaller than you want, you'll need to increase some stitches.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Because you have a smaller gauge, you're going to need more stitches, or maybe you put too many stitches into the sleeve section. Measure the stitches across the back to see if you have half what you need for the chest size. If you do then you can separate the sleeves.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I remember doing a newborn top down sweater for my granddaughter. It was 20 inches around. The sweater length from the back of the neck to the hem was 10-11 inches (can't remember exact number but in that range). The sleeve length was 5 1/2 to 6, so that sounds about right. My pattern had me putting the sleeve stitches on hold and knitting the body of the sweater first. The extra increase is put at the sleeve bottom to fill in that gap and give the baby a little wiggle room. To check your work, measure across the back of the sweater from the bottom of the armhole to the other armhole across. Times this measurement by two. That will give you the circumference. Newborns have about a 20 inch chest. If you need to enlarge this sweater, you can keep knitting rows and doing the increases for the raglan sleeves until you reach this chest measurement, then follow the rest of the pattern. You'll have a few more stitches around, but it will fit. The bottom of the sleeve is the place to make these adjustments. Measure from the center back of the sweater to the hem to get the proper length according to size charts. Sounds like this one may be for a 3-6 month size. Don't worry about it. Babies grow quickly. The women in my neighborhood are giving birth to big moose babies that are 8-10 pounds. Must be something in the water. So you might need that bigger size. My biggest baby was 6 pounds even.

What I did was to look at baby sweater measurements for certain ages on Lion Brand's site. The simplest sweaters are just two rectangles sewn together and the sleeves are rectangles. This gives you a good idea of proportions. It doesn't have to be a knitting pattern. Crochet patterns are good for giving dimensions, too. If you scroll down toward the bottom of this pattern, it gives you some good baby sweater dimensions that you can use for other patterns. It will tell you if the proportions on the pattern you're using are correct or if you need to "tweak it" a little.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0017.html